5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful
Published on 17 Dec 2005 by Sergio Angel Verbo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me... but I have strange tastes!!
I am living in Austria and trying to get to grips with the German language. I was looking for a book that explained the grammer a bit more and in this book I was expecting more explanation of the text presented (rather than just learning standard phrases).
Published on 13 July 2005 by Amazon Kunde

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 17 Dec 2005
Sergio Angel Verbo (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mastering German Vocabulary (Mastering Vocabulary) (Paperback)
In this book you will find thousands of vocabulary items in German, sorted thematically. This means that you can look up words related to any topic that you may be interested in. It is particularly useful if you are learning German on your own (that is my case) and don't want to buy a school text book. Obviously, you may want to buy a book on German grammar as well, to complement this one.
The main adventage is the thematic approach. For instance, under "Living" you will find lots of sub-topics like parts of a house, buying or renting, etc. The phonetic transcription is very useful, and it has what should be a must in this kind of books: many examples. Furthermore, you are given the gender of nouns and the conjugation of irregular verbs. The only real drawback (inexplicable as it is) is that you are not presented with the plural of the nouns. Given the nature of the German language, this may be a problem, since you are required to look them up in order to ascertain the plural.
Nonetheless, this is a very good book, especially for those who have already a basic level. I recommend using it in conjunction with a notebook or flash cards, so that you may get the utmost of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 23 April 2002
This is the best book for learning intermediate and basic vocab. The best thing is that it is not just lists, rather whole sentences using virtually every word, so grammar and general usage improves substantially and very good value too. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoch empfohlen, 10 Mar 2014
Tea (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
~This vocabulary book was excellent value for money. It contains single words, whole sentences and even a grammar section at the end. It splits the content into the most widely used and more advanced vocabulary. It is well organised and has a lot to offer given the very reasonable cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Book!, 10 Aug 2010
P. Davies (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been studying German for two years so now know the basic grammar. The problem is how to improve the vocabulary and see how it is used in everyday situations. This book is a great help - there's a lot that is familiar to me, but also a lot that is new. I like to spend a little time reading it at bedtime - the book is divided into small chunks (within each theme) so I can set myself targets. There's also a useful section on grammar - more aide-memoire than instruction.

On the negative side, the book was published in 1995 and hasn't been updated, so it doesn't acknowledge the new spelling system introduced in 1998.

Overall, I feel it was a worthwhile purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, well laid out and useful, 14 Sep 2013
Easy to carry around book which includes phrases as well as just words, which is always a marker of a good vocabulary book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mastering German Vocabulary., 19 April 2013
I am trying to teach myself German, and I bought this book to add to my collection. I hav e no doubt that I will be referring
to it quite frequently... Have not had it long enough to give it a really good appraisal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me... but I have strange tastes!!, 13 July 2005
If you are interested in the actual construction of the grammer I'd probably buy this book (as it does have LOTS of very useful phrases/examples) along with something like "Collins Easy Learning German Grammar" which goes into depth regarding the structure of the grammer.
Buy this book if you want lots of examples to work from..!!

Mastering German Vocabulary (Mastering Vocabulary)
Mastering German Vocabulary (Mastering Vocabulary) by etc. (Paperback - 12 Jun 1996)