5.0 out of 5 stars Great book full of ultra-cute ideas for sweet treats
Published on 10 Oct 2010 by Pim

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
It's a good book for ideas but every cake pops is realized with pre-processed
ingredients and materials that you cant find in every country. I live in Italy
and it's hard if not impossibilile find the ingredients for the recipes.
Published on 1 Dec 2010 by Luisa

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book full of ultra-cute ideas for sweet treats, 10 Oct 2010
Pim (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
If you like cake balls, then you probably don't need to be told to buy this book. Bakerella is amazing and her ideas are ultra-cute. Personally, I find cake balls way too sweet for my taste (Bakerella herself describes them as "super-sweet" and I agree), but I love the book and it totally deserves 5 stars. I have already bought five as gifts as well as one for myself, for the simple reason that it's full of beautifyully photographed brilliant ideas for decorating sweet truffles. I have been making truffles by combining crushed Oreo cookies with cream cheese for almost 4 years now. The saltiness in the cream cheese cuts the sweetness of the cookies, so (in my opinion) they taste so much nicer than cake balls. Bakerella mentions the possibility of oreo truffles on page 98 of her book, and you'll find the recipe on her website as well as elsewhere (1 pack cream cheese, one pack oreos, one pack almond bark for coating - just 3 ingredients). I live in the USA and have the American version of the book. I don't know whether the British version is any different, but in case it isn't, Brits need to know that the British version of almond bark is called "chocolate flavour cake covering", brands include Silver Spoon and Tesco. I use Bakerella's ideas but with an oreo truffle filling - perfection! I don't bother with sticks though, I just put the decorated balls in paper cases - it's less hassle that way.

5.0 out of 5 stars very cool little book, 19 Jan 2011
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
First off, I'm not sure why some people are lambasting this for not using home-made cake. Do you honestly buy a book like this for recipes? I could understand the annoyance if this book was for standard cakes or cupcakes, but these are neither, they're little novelties and as such I wouldn't expect a massive variety of recipes for it. In addition, if you are looking at this book I'd be willing to bet you have a pretty good understanding of baking, so knocking up your own cake shouldn't be an issue, especially since it states very clearly what size cake and what weight of frosting is required.

It is explained immediately that the author prefers the shop-bought mixes and frostings as a) they give standard quantities and b) it means she can get to her favourite bit, the designing, more quickly. Personally I don't like mixes so I would use my own recipes, although she does give one or two basic ones at the back of the book.

The designs themselves are very cute, and they are all explained in great detail. Despite the fact they look complex, I think these could be accomplished by anyone so please don't be put off if you're new to baking and decorating. The steps are explained from scratch on each design so you don't need to look back to the beginning for the basics which is a nice touch. I also really like the ideas she has for using sweeties like candy necklaces (robot eyes) and mini marshmallows (popcorn) - that really got my imagination running with ideas for how to create other things:)

Candy melts are available over here online - check the Wilton website for UK suppliers. Googling also brings up a few results. Failing that, use white chocolate (if you're confident with working with chocolate), or if you're not then just use white chocolate flavoured cake covering. Both can be coloured, although you must make sure you don't use water based colourings. Again, candy/chocolate colourings can be bought online or in cake decoration shops. Ebay now has a massive selection of things for the cake pop market too, and is normally a good source for the odd bits of American candy that you can't find here, such as candy corn (although I did think some of them looked very similar to our coke bottles/milkshake bottle sweets).

My one complaint, and it's a small one, is that the spiral binding is one of those that doesn't flow very well. It's only a minor niggle though and nothing that reflects poorly on the content, so this is still a five star book imo.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 1 Dec 2010
It's a good book for ideas but every cake pops is realized with pre-processed
ingredients and materials that you cant find in every country. I live in Italy
and it's hard if not impossibilile find the ingredients for the recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Cake pops, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
I discovered Cake Pops when visiting the Bakerella website some time ago, and have been making them and coming up with new creations ever since. I have a small cake business, and have found Cake Pops to be hugely popular when I have suggested them as wedding favours to my customers - it's a great cross sell for me !

I had pre-ordered this book, and was a little sceptical that it may be very novice orientated, but it covers all levels and has some great ideas.

I'd maybe have liked some more suggestion of cake flavours etc - but the author tends to use cake mixes, which I wouldn't do myself, so I've had to be a little creative on that side too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book. Can't fault it, 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
I came across this book when looking for general cake decorating books. I had never seen Cake Pops before and became very intrigued. I bought it after looking at a few pages from the book. I am delighted. Lovely full colour pages and very easy to follow. Such gorgeous designs that I can't wait to start cooking up some of the recipes to start making some Cake Pops. I just can't decide which design to do! There's even a measurement guide at the back to convert to metric as its mainly in imperial. There's also the recipes to make the Candy Icing and list of companies who make each colour and flavours. Great Book. Buy it, you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Ideas, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
Great little book if you are looking for something different to try. Very cheap to make if you just cover with chocolate. Candy coating a bit xpensive but there are always something else you can use. Tried these out with my friends at work and they thought they were great. Really it is a bit like a truffle on a stick. Sticks not hard to find, just go onto e-bay and not expensive to buy. Kids love them too. Not tried decorating them into characters as yet but thought i would try for Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware, addictive!, 11 Nov 2010
D. J. Ballard (Hilversum, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
A wonderful book for beginners or for experts. Very sweet (in both senses of the word) ideas. The ingredients are difficult to find in Europe but substitutions are possible. I made my own cake and frosting instead of using the boxed kind and colored white chocolate which works nearly as well. The instructions are clear, precise and well-thought out.

Very addictive for home bakers!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
Recipes start with "you'll need an 18 oz box cake mix and candy coating". This book is merely cake pop shaping/assembling rather than cooking. Furthermore, for the only 2 cakes mix recipes, ounces are not used as the unit of measure (yet uses ounces above).

Two pages at the end provide the only 6 recipes - 2 recipes for cake mix and 4 for frosting. The measuring units are inconsisent. Units used are mixed within single recipes, ie cups [cups of butter/cups of flour], tablespoons, ounces.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cake pops, 3 Nov 2010
Ice Maiden "Kathy" (Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
A bit disappointed with this book. It didn't inspire me at all. I expected lovely recipes but I got pictures of the finished article and a recipe to make them using a cake box mix. Added to the fact that the covering ingredients that make the smooth finish to create your cake pop art on are hard to get in Britain this is not a book I would recommend to people over here or anyone who bakes from scratch and was looking for inspiring recipes. I am sure she is a lovely lady with a lot of talent for turning ready made ingredients into something else - but her techniques and raw materials dont translate across the pond very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok....., 2 Jun 2011
This review is from: Cake Pops (Hardcover-spiral)
The book is lovely with some amazing ideas and I can't wait to have a go at making them, but......it is an American book so trying to get hold of some of the stuff is proving hard and in some instances costly. There are some things I can't find after a lot of looking.
Happy cake pop making!!!!

ARRAY(0xa859b0c0)

Cake Pops
Cake Pops by Angie Dudley (Hardcover-spiral - 7 Oct 2010)
12.80