Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 June 2011
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It takes you through each step of making a sourdough bread and completely explains why you need to do what you must to get the finished product. I have been looking for an indepth book like this for ages.

Great for any keen baker!
on 8 April 2014
Brilliant book for all those wishing to make their own sour dough bread. The author is clearly a world expert on all aspects of artisan bread making. Before finishing the book he had a number of people try out his recipe and techniques and then went to their houses to discuss their experiences and see the results of their efforts. There were even some who had never previously baked a loaf of bread! So the reader can be certain that the recipes work even for those who have never before attempted bread making.
on 20 September 2013
This was recommended to me by an artisan baker in the UK at a one day course I attended. It did not disappoint. Very clear instructions to follow with pictures at every stage so you can see if you're getting it right. Plus the background info you need to understand the process and adapt your timings to suit. Don't be put off by it looking complicated at the start, it really isn't once you've understood the process. The only step I can't replicate is the look of the final dough after shaping, which is odd as it looks ok up to that point! It does say shaping is the hardest part with such a wet dough though, so guess more practice is needed. Using a cast iron Dutch oven to cook the loaf in really does make the difference it says.
on 28 August 2014
A masterpiece. I own many bread books but this is the best, by far. My baguettes are now the best in town!
on 22 February 2016
I bought this book some time ago and got very inspired by the enthusiasm of the author but never made any of his bread because I was a bit baffled by the 'cast iron combo cooker' that seemed to be essential to getting a perfect result. Having just worked out that a baking dome (from Bakery Bits) does the same job I started to make my starter, made a leaven, and then made a couple of truly fantastic loaves at my first attempt. I can now see why people become obsessed with sourdough. This is a lovely book with excellent photo illustrations to help you from straying off-piste.
on 16 October 2015
I was hesitant to buy another book about baking bread. I had already spent a fortune and my bread wasn't were I wanted. Two bakers I deeply respect recommended this book and it was worth it. I don't have time to go through the story of bread and the personal experience of the author, which are the first chapters. I followed the nontraditional way of baking suggested and got simply spectacular results from the first time. Book contains so many pictures of the steps that even if you don't get the instructions, the pictures clarify any doubts you might have
on 25 March 2013
I was a little intimidated by the pages and pages of instructions and how long and drawn out not only the process of creating and stabilising the starter but developing the dough but I'm hooked. I tried a spelt version of the basic recipe and it's the the best textured, tastiest bread I have ever tasted. I'm hooked! (Bought the dutch combo pan from Divertimenti but could use a Le Crueset as well.) Good news is that now I have the kit and the starter ready to go, I will feed it daily and bake with it as often as possible.
on 5 December 2010
Not only does the book present a fail-free method of making perfect sourdough bread, it is gorgeous to hold and look at. A perfect addition to any baker's library, both novice and professional.
on 9 September 2015
This is a really beautiful book that could equally function as a coffee table book as much as it does a detailed guide to making sourdough bread, with spectacular results. I loved reading about Robertson's life story at the start of the book. The instructions were all very clear and easy to follow. This would also be a great gift for the bread lover in your life!
on 26 March 2015
This book in my view depends on a high proportion of beautifully photographed relevant photographs. This brings in the passion and romance of the process. It also relies on half the book being recipes of what you can do with bread after you have baked it. If that is what you want , superb photography, passion and recipes you will be well served. If however you want clear concise direction in following this baking process which I did, you may be a little disappointed. One thing that really winds me up is constantly being referred to another recipe on another page, to follow that and then come back. A two page artists drawing of grass on sand dunes and seascape in colour could have made room for a bit of 'copy and paste'. Graphical clarity and format of recipes has really moved on in bread baking publishing. Succinct description moves you on quickly. Artisnal passion and personal journeys are good but I prefer them separate to process. I Like the padded hardback cover but my copy (China printed) had a brilliant white paper which one would have expected to be a higher quality to match the cover and the amazing photography. Looks great on the coffee table.