4.0 out of 5 stars More for the Pixar fans
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:25 Mins
If you're still wondering about the real story of Pixar's Up, this book provides very good clues (or spoilers). I'll just say it's about Carl, the old man, going on a journey in search for meaning to his life. The directive from the top was to make Up "the studio's most emotive film to date".

Tim Hauser has provided a good writeup into design...
Published on 23 May 2009 by Parka

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
lovely
Published 2 months ago by A

4.0 out of 5 stars More for the Pixar fans, 23 May 2009
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:25 Mins

Tim Hauser has provided a good writeup into design style and production process of the movie. There's talk on the story arc, themes, the characters and a bit on the artistic side of production, like visiting a jungle for the research. The Pixar story team provided lots of quotes giving great insight into the story process. On the technical side to animating, nothing much is mentioned.

The challenge for this movie is aimed at simplicity. The character designs are based on simple shapes like squares (Carl), ovals (Russell, balloons), bullets (dogs), etc. I've the impression there are less sets and characters compared to other Pixar movies. There seem to be only the city, the sky (flying objects) and the jungle (big). You can see the focus is going to be on the characters.

The art included are character designs, storyboards, color scripts and few environmental paintings. Descriptions for the illustrations come in the form of quotes. There are lots of character sketches for the main characters, Carl, Russell and the house. Readers looking for the plot will find that in Lou Romano's colour scripts. It seems that there's a new (to me) character designer, Daniel López Muñoz, doing plenty of character sketches.

What you're not going to see are film stills, background paintings and pastels. No idea why but the number of background paintings always pales in comparison to non-Pixar art books. And there's only one pastel painting from Dominque Louis. I miss the pastel paintings included in earlier movie art books.

This book is really more for Pixar fans.

PS.

"Hey this doesn't look like one of Pixar's better art book is it?", a colleague remarks to me. Another goes "Not the kind of style I like". Well, I guess it's not for everyone but here are the pictures you can see for yourself. =)

------------

There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) (Hardcover)
Brought as Xmas present for our daughter who is a Pixar fan. The book was beautiful! Full of photos and drawings, and stories about the making of Up. Tells the interesting background story for the making of the film.
I was worried that the reviews on this book were too positive. But they were not! If you are a Pixar fan, or are interested in art, this is a fantastic book.
I will definitely buy the other books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book To Have, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) (Hardcover)
Not a tech reference. Good for artistic purposes. To see the development.

I would suggest How To Train Your Dragon too

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) (Hardcover)
Bought it as a xmas present and my partner said I did good this year as he really likes the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, not very good service by Amazon, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) (Hardcover)
I haven't finished it yet but so far it has proven that the "Art of" books are essential for any fan of any given movie. You get beautiful drawings and great insight into the production of the films, something that even some making of features fail to achieve. It is a real treat for UP and Pixar fans! Don't think twice.

My complaint with this one is the Amazon delivery service. It took longer than anticipated but that's not the worst thing. The back of the book is somewhat dirty, I looks worn and there was some kind of sticky stuff between some pages, which I had to peel off (imagine cookie crumbs pressed between the pages). Overall, it gave me a feel that it was left somewhere, one of the few remaining copies and it wasn't cared for very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) (Hardcover)
It s a fantastic book, illustrating the evolution of a beautiful film. Even if you are not related to arts I would recommend its, this an interesting book to read through.

The condition I got it was perfect, and perfectly on time

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and informative, 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) (Hardcover)
A great look at the preparatory work of Pixar. Great concept illustrations, and it gives you an in site into the thought processes that are involved in creating such a high quality film. I particularly enjoyed seeing how Carl was developed into the character he became.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 1 Jun 2011
Sem Brys (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) (Hardcover)
This is in my opinion one of the best Pixar art books. Loads of pictures/Renders/concept art/... like the other art books, and has a lot of explanation in it. Very interesing if you're an animator.
I especially like the part where they talk about 'simplexity'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for friend, 20 April 2011
This review is from: The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a birthday present for a friend and as expected he loved it. Being a lover of the film 'Up' and also a video and motion graphics student I knew this was the perfect gift. The pictures are outstanding, some showed the films process of developing characters which were particularly interesting. Also these illustrations were followed up with lots of writing to give in depth detail. I'm tempted to by myself a copy now :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Pixar... What else is there to say?, 15 Mar 2010
D. Wray (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) (Hardcover)
Amazing book, from front to back cover it's full of amazing insight and artwork which really takes you into the world of UP. The concepts behind the film are expanded upon by some of the artists in the book, while I didn't think of all the situations, emotions and how it relates to parts of life while watching the film, after reading the book I did take away some extra knowledge about the theme(s) that it covers and some parts from a concept artist where quite touching.

I have two other Pixar books (Nemo and Wall-E, more to come though ;) ) and this is probably my favourite book when looking through for concept art and ideas for my own work, the choice of bright, vivid colours and the general feeling of happiness (possibly down to the bright colours and images of bright sky's with brilliant white clouds) given off by this book while looking through the pages is something I'm impressed with.

The Art of Up (Pixar Animation)
The Art of Up (Pixar Animation) by Tim Hauser (Hardcover - 1 May 2009)