Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on 30 March 2007
With no synopsis or review I took a chance and ordered this book based on the cover. I wanted to do some sewing in the evening when the kids are in bed but wanted something more chi chi than the popular crosstitch. This book has style by the shed load. At the beginning of the book is a lesson on embroidery going right back to basics (which is what I need), with basic stitches but also more adventurous stitches for the more experienced. The tone is more like 'big sister' rather than tutor and pupil, with a section before the patterns called "Last Minute Finger Wagging. Helpful Hints Revisited". And best of all, as mentioned in my title, the patterns are iron on transfers that are reusable up to 9 times. They are so fresh and fun with chic cats, space rockets, fruit, cars, planets, salsa dancers, stars, dogs, lips, teacups, cupcakes, pie slices, I could go on but needless to say there is a design for everyone and all occasions. So even if you don't need the lesson on embroidery there is a wealth of designs for the more experienced to add to their collection. It has given me the confidence to trace a design of my 4yr old son's pencilled drawing and embroider it onto a tea towel! I wanted a book to give me inspiration and this is certainly it.
on 14 May 2007
I'm a complete beginner at embroidery, and this book is just what I've been looking for. The friendly instructions are clear and easy to follow, and the range of patterns that come with the book are fantastic - a great range of designs from classic (flowers and cursive fonts) to kitsch (flamenco dancers and martini glasses).

This book is perfect for anyone who wants to give embroidery a go but isn't sure where to start - the author talks you through every step of the process, from buying thread to advanced stitches. It'd be worth the price with only a couple of the patterns included - with about a hundred thrown in, it's a fantastic bargain!
on 11 February 2008
I bought this book for the shedload of extra patterns, it's great value for the sheer number of iron on transfers, enabling you to do lots of different motifs. I bought this as a follow up to her "Stitch-it kit".
on 18 May 2010
I do like the designs in this book and I know that a lot could be made from them if you have imagination and some basic sewing skills. However I do feel that most of the designs could be drawn easily freehand by the crafter or sourced from children's colouring-in books. I don't know if the book was worth the money - perhaps if you don't have confidence to draw simple shapes or just can't think of designs this would be of use to you it may also be fun for a teenager who wants to experiment with stitching designs. I think there are better embroidery books for sale on Amazon for example 'Doodle-Stitching' by Aimee Ray.
on 5 January 2014
The kindle edition does not include any of the patterns. What you get is a very, very short guide to a few basic stitches. Ok, so obviously you can't expect iron on transfers from a kindle, but I would expect to be able to see the designs at least. Absolute waste of time having this as an e book.
on 9 February 2009
I started out with the stitch it kit also by Jenny Hart which I just love and this is just as fun. Loads more transfers for every occasion and she shares lots more stitches. There is even a stitch lesson transfer which is a sampler for the stitches she has just explained. This and the stitch it kit are very good value and very addictive!
on 21 October 2007
I bought this book without having seen it first and without a description. I hate to say it, but I was disappointed. The majority of the book's 224 pages are transfer patterns for embroidery. These are great if you are looking to use someone else's designs but I was looking for a book with more in the way of inspiration. The book offers some good basic technical help and is written well. It's nicely presented with some great 50's style retro influenced design. If you are new to embroidery and are looking for a starting point I would recommend this book. But if you know the basics already I would suggest looking elsewhere for inspiration.
on 15 May 2012
Love love love this. I'm a keen craft girlie, but needle work was new to me. This book is great for beginners as has all the basic stitches and lists of equipment to get. The patterns are really great for anyone who likes a break from the norm.... cocktail glasses, tattoo scrolls, cupcakes and cute retro images.
Also didnt realise which is a total bonus, is the patterns as reusuable up to 10 tens each, bargain !
Handy little pocket in cover too to keep hold of stray bits
on 2 April 2016
Ok for beginners, BUT...there are better, e.g. Aimee Ray Doodle Stitching transfer Pack. I got my Sublime Stitching from a seller for £4 (imo not even worth that) and if I could have looked at it first I would not have bothered, do not pay full price for it. " Hundreds of Hip embroidery patterns" is an over statement. The designs are very basic, and there are actually only 84 different designs, 4 alphabets and 5 words using those alphabets. It can get away with saying hundreds of designs because each of those 84 designs are repeated several times, but just made smaller or flipped. So really a bit of a cop out way of increasing the number. Also, as said, the designs are very basic and could easily be sourced on line. Very disappointing for a Jenny Hart book, I have another Jenny Hart book and after looking at her website was excited to get books of her patterns....but I now feel that she keeps the best patterns to sell as pdfs on her site and puts only the basic in the books. Needless to say i won't be buying any more of her books. 2 stars because if you are an absolute beginner, can get it for a very low price it will teach you the stitches you need to open up the world of embroidery to you.
on 7 April 2010
Lovely ideas and beautiful layout.

I bought this book to re inspire my use of embroidery and it has done that!!

Great iron on transfers get rid of the need for tracing through a window...always hated that bit.

A nice book all round.