Format: Paperback|Change

My granddaughter, who is just starting chapter books, likes to read these books and/or have them read along to her. Why?

Ivy and Bean are friends. Good friends. Being a friend and having a friend is an important thing, and appeals to my reader.

Ivy and Bean have very different personalities. It's not a good girl/bad girl deal. Kids who generally behave well but sometimes mess up are also appealing, and identifiable.

Most Ivy and Bean adventures arise from goofy stuff that pops into their heads, (ghosts, finding fossils, and so on). Well, my girl can't actually do magic either, but she understands pretending really hard.

It's not a lot of fancy princess stuff. That was fine, but we're moving away from that. (But there is a lot of dressing-up from the dress-up box; and that's fine.)

The parents are loving and supportive. That is a great comfort, and I simply do not understand kids' light entertainment, (as opposed to "problem"), books that feature idiot, distant, or absent parents.

Everything is fueled by their imagination, which, apart from building reading skills, seems like it should be the point of these types of books.

So, dive in anywhere, the books don't have to be read in order, and just have a nice reading experience.
My nearly 6 year old can't get enough of Ivy and Bean.

she was bought the first one by a cousin in the US. We had never heard of them but since then, we have ordered all of them. Our daughter now reads them over and over on her own.

They are witty, well written and have enough of a story line to keep everyone interested.

Recommended
on 24 February 2014
Ivy and Bean is a super book. Even though it is a bit expensive it is so worth the money. I love Ivy and Bean books. I just wish more people would read these books. And because I think this book is absolutely brilliant I'm going to tell all my friends about these books. Thank you so much Annie Barrows for writing these brilliant books! :) :)
on 23 February 2014
Fir my granddaughter to encourage her reading. She is 5 1/2 and love wresting to me. She will love it.
on 20 August 2010
My 7 year old loves ivy and bean. She raced through the whole series and found them very entertaining and funny. I love them because they are one of the only books, other than Tashi which have really engaged her without containing fairies or princesses! they are a little American in language but witty and enjoyable.
on 24 April 2015
i purchased this book for my grandaughter ivy,
she loved it
on 30 August 2015
Great book my daughter loves ivy and bean
on 15 February 2015
The girls loved reding it!
on 12 July 2015
v good
on 22 June 2014
Our 8 year old adores this book. I have not read it I'm afraid. Ummm Amazon wants more words in this review. Ok it has a pretty cover.