4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh, I almost started writing a novel.
As one of those people who have "Write a novel" as one of the things on my "Someday/Maybe" lists, I accidentally found myself on the NaNoWriMo website.

Published on 30 May 2006 by Rollasoc

3.0 out of 5 stars Passible Prose in Thirty-Days
Other books talk about writing as a serious art form, or as a blood, sweat and tears way of earning a living.
Published on 28 Nov 2005 by microfiche

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh, I almost started writing a novel., 30 May 2006
This review is from: No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days: A High-velocity, Low-stress Way to Write a Novel in 30 Days (Paperback)

Thinking that the whole concept is what I need, to actually force myself to start, I thought I'd get up to speed and buy the book. I fully had the intention of reading it now, doing the writing course I've been procrastinating on for 3 years and then do the challenge in 2007.

Well I read the book in an evening.

Ok, you won't gleam much insight into actually how to write a novel (there are plenty of other books to do that, plus the website has some great information in the forums).

What you get is a very witty (it made me cry with laughter in places) walk through how to prepare and cope through a stessful, painful, delightful, enjoyable etc month whilst you do a, possibly very bad, first draft of your novel.

With tips from past winners, the authors own struggles and the fact that you really are going for quantity over quality. This really has motivated me into contemplating actually entering this competition this year.

Plus how to use fear to get yourself to succeed is a particular useful bit of information I will be using in other aspects of my life.

If you have any interest in writing (or art or music for that matter), then this is an enjoyable romp through how to temporarily motivate yourself to a concentrated burst of creative output.

Lets hope my novel isn't as waffly as this review!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 14 Sep 2006
If you're like me, teetering on the brink of writing a novel but never quite feeling confident that you've researched enough, are talented enough, or have the tenacity to see it through, then read this book. I tried the nanowrimo last July after reading it, and since then have written another one, and am just embarking on my third. What Baty helps you to see is that the first draft is not meant to be a work of great fiction, in fact it's better if it isn't. So go on, get your feet dirty and don't worry about it. I'm enjoying the process so much! It's amazing what you do know when you start to write!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, funny and full of fantastically good advice, 31 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This is a wonderful book: inspiring, full of practical tips and advice and funny and well written into the bargain. Anyone who's ever wanted to write a novel should read it. Anyone who's ever got stuck while trying to write a novel should read it. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Passible Prose in Thirty-Days, 28 Nov 2005
microfiche (Scarborough, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is for the "I'd write a novel if I only had the time" crowd - which are what most participants of the National Novel Writing Month Challenge (aka nanowrimo) are. If you are looking for a book on how to write the great novel, this one just lightly skims over what you've probably read in other books. Pass it by.
If you are looking for a book that says: "Shut your internal editor in a cage for 30 days and Get The Book Out of Your System", this is a book worth buying. It won't help you write the Great Novel, but it will motivate you, my fellow closet scribblers, to feel great about writing the one you're thought about writing, even if the end result seems poor. Because, bad or good, you can look into the mirror and say I wrote a 50,000 word work of fiction in 30 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars because it got me writing...., 3 Aug 2011
A small book but packed with motivation. I didnt quite do 50k words in a month,
but I did do 45k....and thats great for me.
Would recommend it for those seeking motivation and a way to get the
first draft done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but be warned!, 30 Oct 2009
This is a fun book, amusingly written and I generally just like dipping in and out of it.

However, be warned: the title is a little disingenuous. If there are any complete novice writers out there who have never successfully put a story or a plot together and think that this book will help them churn out a good novel in 30 days, think again. Baty sets out with the premise that you don't need a ready-made plot, but then later in the book he starts recommending that you take a week (no more) before starting the month's writing and, guess what, do some planning (!) There is then only the most cursory of guides to plot construction and how to create believable characters. Nothing at all on scene ordering or creating a rhythm between scenes. It kind of feels like he's lured you in under false pretences - telling you that he's going to show you a way of writing a book without building a plot first, and then sneaking up on you and strongly implying that it would best if you did that after all.

Of course, the truth of the matter is, you CANNOT write a good, well structured novel in one month, unless you are a genius. Baty accepts this and his whole philosophy is based on the idea that banging out a rough draft, even a terrible rough draft, is still better than having an empty page. While this is true to an extent, what I found when I came to write my novel-in-a-month (trying to tackle an idea that I'd had for years but had never had the guts to write), was that when I got to the end, I knew that at least two thirds of the book were terrible beyond redemption. If I had felt inclined to move forward into the editing process (which Baty accepts can take years), I would have literally have had to jettison nearly every word and start again from a blank page. Yep, the thing I was trying to avoid in the first place.

My advice for any beginniner writers wanting to use this book is go on a creative writing course first, and read/absorb some really detailed, in-depth books on how to construct plots and stories. Make sure you're already a reasonably active writer who can churn out material without too much pulling of hair. Get a rough storyline and a plot together. Then buy No plot? No problem and use Baty's fun, motivaional coaching to have a crack at a scrappy, one-month first draft. If you go in totally blind and believing, chances are you will end up doing exactly what I did and just produce irredeemable garbage at an unbelievable rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a writing handbook, but an effective kick in the backside., 10 Nov 2008
I'm not 100% convinced that I should be giving this book five stars, as it has the potential to be misleading as to what you can expect from it; but given the number of times I've read it in the past year, the number of times it has made me laugh out loud, and so on, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. (And maybe it'll balance out a certain gent who gave it one star when he'd not even read it ;))

This book is emphatically NOT a writing manual, style guide, whatever. It does exactly what it says on the tin: gets you trying (and in many cases succeeding) to write a shortish novel in 30 days. The quality of said novel might be a little ropey, depending on talent, time, etc, but quite literally thousands of people have found to their surprise and delight that it works.

This isn't a book about how to write the perfect, finished novel; it's about getting a rough draft down on paper so you have something to work with, - and many, many people continue to prove that, yes, you can do that in the space of a month.

It's also not really about producing something that can necessarily be edited into a publishable script. This is sometimes a happy side effect, but it isn't the main point of the book: this book approaches writing the same way most non-professionals approach golf, dancing, music - novel writing as recreation, rather than potential job.

This book is about getting people writing fiction and getting them over the first hurdle, NOT about producing finished, publisher-worthy books in a month. A small but significant number of nanowrimo participants go on to get their polished up book-in-a-month efforts published - a couple of such success stories are mentioned in the book whose books are widely available - so it undoubtedly can be done, but it isn't really the intended end result for all nanowrimo books.

This book won't suit everyone's needs, but it's a great, entertaining little bundle of encouragement, amusement, and blackmail designed to stop you saying "one day I'll write a novel" and say instead "I'm going to write a novel and I'm going to do it now".

If you're looking for detailed ways to plan your novel, grammar guides, style, exercises, etc, this book is not for you (or certainly not on its own). If you're an accomplished writer who has no problems with motivation, similarly, this book may not be what you're looking for (though some established writers have successfully used NaNo as a springboard to reinvigorate their writing or get them over writer's block). If what you need is a kick up the backside to get you writing and get your novel off your chest, then it's certainly worth your while, because that is exactly what this book plans to deliver, and it does it exceedingly well and in an entertaining fashion.

I'm currently mid-wrimo, after starting late and continuing my story post wrimo '07. I've written more in the last year than I ever have in my life on any one project (indeed, possibly just more than I've ever written: 55K and counting) and more in the last 10 days (nearly 20K) than I have ever written in a time frame less than months... largely due to the inspiration, encouragement, and sheer blackmail tactics of nanowrimo and this book. If your creative side needs kicking into gear, then I personally cannot recommend this highly enough.

update: I won NaNo on the 28th, and boy did it feel good.

For anyone wondering if something worthwhile can come out of a rough draft put together in one short month... I have recently found out that Water For Elephants, Sara Gruen's New York Times bestseller, currently in production as a Hollywood movie, started out life as a nano novel. Need I say more?

5.0 out of 5 stars WITTY AND WISE, 27 Mar 2005
If you want a proverbial boot applied to the seat of your pants in a good humoured and encouraging way, this is the book for you. You'll find it especially helpful if you're feeling isolated, as Chris comes up with all the problems that every writer has, but thinks they're the only one. He also gives some friendly advice as to how those problems might be solved or by-passed. It helped me when I'd been stuck for months. Give it a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivation with bells on, 30 Oct 2008
Annabel Kantaria (Dubai, UAE) - See all my reviews
If you're teetering on the edge of starting a novel, I highly recommend this book.

It's a fun read, but what you take away from it is the realisation that it really doesn't matter that much WHAT you get on paper in the first draft, as long as you get the story down. You realise that there's no point in agonising over beautiful prose at this stage - all you need to do is pour a nice glass of vino and bash the story out. The time for refinements and polish comes later.

The book's a great kick up the a*se if you're procrastinating about starting a novel, and it's responsible for me getting 50,000 words on paper in six weeks, which says a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give 4-1/2 stars, 21 Oct 2007
Mary Chrapliwy (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book was created by National Novel Writing Month (NANOWRIMO) founder Chris Baty. It is an excellent book for an aspiring writer regardless of whether you participate in NANOWRIMO or not. It gives clear instruction on the key elements of novel writing and also proves to be a great cheerleader for the cause of getting that first draft finished. I enjoyed it thoroughly and found it very encouraging. Since this book is very basic and mostly targeted at the novice writer, it deserves more than 4 stars, but not quite 5 stars. This book would be a good addition to any new writer's library.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›