4.0 out of 5 stars Not a book - but a deck of yoga cards: very innovative!, 22 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations (Cards)
This is a wonderful idea and could fulfill a variety of needs. Short of time? - pick out a couple of cards, eg. warm-up and postures and carry out the instructions. Plan different sequences - lay the cards out and follow. The pack - by Olivia Miller (not Oliver) - contains 6 breath cards, 5 warm-up cards, 1 Om card, 32 asanas (postures) and 6 meditation cards - all packaged in a very portable box. The front of each posture card features an illustration of the pose and the reverse side describes how to do the pose and lists its benefits. There are also some recommended sequences - Stretch; energy; flexibility; strength; relaxation & stress relief and also back pain relief. Makes a wonderful gift for your yoga friends. Some knowledge of yoga would be helpful - or used to compliment attending a yoga class. A great idea!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great find!, 23 Aug 2003
This review is from: Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations (Cards)
I was originally looking for a book to compliment my yoga practice that I do at home daily, as well as my weekly class. I find that I tend to repeat the same postures day after day and was after something to give me more ideas and variations. This deck of cards came up on a search and I decided to try them - I HAVEN'T been disappointed!
The pack comes in a small, sturdy, portable box (I took mine to Spain with me on holiday!) Each card clearly shows and explains how to do the asana (posture) as well as detailing the benefits you can expect from it. There are a few recommended sequences of postures with specific benefits - from stress relief to relaxation - together with cards explaining breathing exercises and others with meditation guides.
This pack has proved to be an excellent buy and I would recommend it to anyone wishing to extend their yoga practice or revive their enthusiasm. It is probably NOT designed for advanced pupils, but would suit beginner to intermediate level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Useful, 29 Mar 2008
This review is from: Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations (Cards)
Just got these recently and I can already see I'm going to use them all the time. The box and the cards themselves are well made and sturdy which will make them a must-pack when I go on holiday.

The descriptions of the asanas are clear and simple and the illustrations are good too. I did deduct a star because the text can be a little difficult to read from a distance, but you can't have everything, portability is the key here, so they can't be too big.

With this deck I can vary my practice safely - not being a very experienced yoga practitioner, I appreciate the guidance. And what's more, I can take them anywhere and use them more flexibly than a book format. The meditation and breathing cards are also excellent.

I think these would be best used by someone who had already attended a class and had some instruction from a teacher first, but I do tend to think that about all yoga aids. It's good to know how the postures should feel in the body before attempting them on your own.

I think this deck is a really practical and simple aid to supporting one's yoga practice and I would recommend you give them a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids too!, 27 April 2009
J. Wegmann (Saint Ismier, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations (Cards)
This is a great introductory to yoga. It is also fun for children (of course, some poses may not be appropriate). My 4 year old loves to pick out a card and we then do the pose together. It is easy to understand with good explanations and pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Yoga Deck, 8 Jan 2009
P. J. De Maziere (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations (Cards)
Haveing read various books and seen various dvds on yoga I thought I would give it one last go to find something I could use and I have not been dissapointed the box is strong and the cards brilient no matter what you are looking for exercises or maditation well worth the money buy use and enjoy as well as get fit highly recomended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, 10 April 2013
CaraLou (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is perfect for busy people who want to practice yoga. Simple, easy and straight-forward. I like the way that meditation has been included and the breathing exercises worked wonders for me. There are a lot of yoga books out there which are long-winded and impractical. This focuses on the idea of integrating yoga easily into your existing lifestyle to enhance it, as opposed to trying to live the lifestyle of a yogi which for most is not possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish they made "50 More Poses", 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations (Cards)
I really like this deck. I think it makes regular practice easier and less monotonous. I wish they had an additional deck with more poses. I like variety. That's why yoga workout videos never do it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to use in my Yoga Teachers, 15 Oct 2011
George A. Watts (Mid Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations (Cards)
I sometimes use this deck in my yoga classes. It adds a bit of fun when I ask students to pick a card. So, I'd say this is a great resource for yoga teachers! Other great yoga teacher resources include:Yoga Teacher Lesson Plan Kit, Yoga Teacher Business Kit, Quick Yoga Sites and Yoga Studio Business Plan Kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple,Flexible,Excellent, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations (Cards)
These cards are fantastic.

You can easily create a routine that suits you and your current needs due to the variety of poses and have the ability to make it easy/hard as you want at that moment. Each pose can be adapted to make it more or less challenging and you can adapt your routine making it long or short depending on time/how your feeling/what you want from the session. The small box means you can take them anywhere, I'm currently travelling around Italy and took them on a 3 day trip to Austria with me, they are light and take up very little room. It's also much easier to just get your box of cards out than it is to start up your laptop/TV, find your yoga DVD or check out YouTube for one and then spend your time searching around for the type of routine you want and then pausing it or rewinding when you need more time to work on the pose or find a pose that doesn't suit you. You can choose exactly what you want to do with these cards.
The illustrations are clear and easy to follow and if you want more information the poses are well explained on the back of each card with tips. The information card that comes with the pack gives you ideas for different routines and tells you which cards to use for different benefits, for example lower back pain or increased flexibility or cards for strength. Wonderful cards would totally recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the point!, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations (Cards)
No lengthy book to read, you can 'pick' a card and do the pose. Saves time if you have a busy life.

Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations
Yoga Deck: 50 Poses and Meditations by Olivia Miller (Cards - 15 Feb 2001)
10.99