Fishing Small Flies
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£19.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 2 April 2009
Being a relative beginner (3 years), I find that Engle's text radiates a degree of elucidation in a way that only a few other writers match. In his explanations he works from the general to the particular so that, at the end, you can see an overlying pattern that makes sense. His descriptions of the various styles, set-ups, approaches have clarified, in my mind, hitherto vague practices that often ended in failure on the river-bank. His writing style is western American - easy, refreshingly matter-of-fact, shorn of verbiage, perceptive - laced with a seasoning that comes from a lifetime of hunting trout with flies. He's honest in that he will tell you if he doesn't know which is best. He's helped me know more about what I'm doing and I'm experimenting now with more complicated styles. In those quiet periods on the river bank I find myself saying "Now, what would Ed do?" There are many excellent diagrams that show the main set-ups and methods of fly-fishing. The book, at nearly 8"x10", is a useful package and each page is packed with text not white space and vacuous padding. It's my `go-to' book for trout so much so that I've bought two more copies for others.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again