5.0 out of 5 stars 62: a Model Kit
Published on 6 Aug 2003 by Mr. John Clifton Hooper

1.0 out of 5 stars Impenetrable
Published 11 months ago by M. Bamford

5.0 out of 5 stars 62: a Model Kit, 6 Aug 2003
This review is from: 62: A Model Kit (Hardcover)
I brought this book having read 'Hopscotch', 'Blow-up and Other Short Stories' and 'All Fires The Fire'. The truth was, I had become adicted to Cortazar and his unique style - what I can only describe as a wonderful contradiction of melancholy and humour. I believe 62: a Model Kit, has the same magical ingrediants that make Hopscotch so special. The dialogues, soul searching and games the characters play with each other create a completely original world between Paris, London and Vienna, complete with an Argentinian perspective. I find Cortazar expands the world as we know it by breaking routines and rules and creating new worlds without borders that effortlessly and refreshingly join the world as we know it. I fully recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a novel - it's a poem, 28 Nov 2006
This review is from: 62: A Model Kit (New Directions Classics) (Paperback)
I have to admit to being a Cortazar fan, and he definitely won't appeal to everyone. Cortazar is not bothered about plot and characterisation as time/place-bound contstructs that enable you to follow a story from beginning to end. Time, personality and events are fragmented through shifting 3rd/1st person point of view, flashback, forward projection and all manner of other devices which make the characters and events he writes about inherently unstable - you never quite know who is speaking, where they are, which bit of the plot is being narrated.

It's an anti-novel. What holds it together is Cortazar's magnificent prose. Even in this English translation (Rabassa - superb), what might otherwise be pretentious and dull is sheer pleasure because of Cortazar's superb linguistic ability. This is what his novels are all about - the traditional staples of the novel (character and plot) are subverted and fragmented in favour of beauty, wit, puzzles and the sheer pleasure of Cortazar's linguistic pyrotechnics.

If you want things to happen, then don't read Cortazar (go for Stephen King, or maybe Charles Dickens). But if you want writing stripped of any pretence at realism in character or events, and reduced to pure prose, then Cortazar is your man.

1.0 out of 5 stars Impenetrable, 18 Dec 2013
M. Bamford (stamford, lincs, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 62: A Model Kit (New Directions Classics) (Paperback)
Firstly, my favourite authors include Salman Rushdie, Mario Vargas Llosa and Jose Saramago, I only say this to make the point that this review is not being written by someone who goes in for light or unchallenging reads. Secondly, I know Gregory Rabassa to be a very good and clear translator, as I have read several other books translated by him. Despite all of this, I read the first 10 pages of this book and understood almost nothing. It is extremely intellectual. Not a book for the educated man in the street.

62: A Model Kit (New Directions Classics)
62: A Model Kit (New Directions Classics) by Julio Cortazar (Paperback - April 2000)