on 18 November 1998
Whether or not you have seen the movie "Madame Rosa," read this book. I have never read such a painful book yet one so filled with love. Bittersweet? Sounds sappy, and this book is anything but. A mature meditation on childhood and, as in Gary's other work, the paradox of love and humanity after the Holocaust. This book is also a perfect exercise for developing writers (and translators) and a lesson in how a master author can create character and can use language to create an entire world.
on 29 July 1997
This book won the Prix GONCOURT UNDER A PSEUDONYM,meaning that France's highest literary prize went to an unknown author. It is an amazing tale of love and caring - rather sad, altogether. But I wish that modern novelists would have the scope of human knowledge, combined with imagination, that Gary brings to us. What a pity he died so young and is so unappreciated in our country.
on 19 March 1999
I have never read this book in the English translation, but I am sure that in any language, the feeling of it is the same. It is the story of an Arab child being raised by an old Jewish woman. And through them, the most beautiful and unusual love story emerges. There are several dualities within the book (Jewish/Arabic, Rich/Poor,Young/Old) but the narrator, as he is a child, sees no conflict here. Through Momo's eyes, the rich and old, the young and poor, all merge together into a sad and beautiful universe which is uniquely his and Madame Rosa's. It is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read and if your French skills are even moderate, I highly recommend you pick up a copy of the French, La Vie Devant Soi.
on 4 March 2009
I first read this book in French when I was at university and I absolutely loved it! A friend bought me the English version too, and although a lot is lost in translation, the story is still marvellous! I LOVE THIS STORY! So sad, yet so funny. I recommend it to everyone. Momo is such as character!
This book is one of my all time favourites!
on 1 September 2013
This was chosen for me as a Book Club choice and I am very glad it was. Interesting, shocking, culturally eye-opening. Worth reading without a doubt.
on 31 March 2016
Stunning story! Stunning author. Stunning language
on 31 October 2015
Absolutely fabulous read. Loved it.