Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 February 2013
Long having been acquainted with the incredibly moving work of Wilfred Owen, I bought this value for money collection of his works for my new Kindle.
I had read the former review of July 2012 which stated there was an error, by omission, of a whole line from Strange Meeting. Since this feedback was relayed 8 months ago, I had felt sure that the authors would have been quite capable of amending this digital file to the satisfaction of all, but no. A real shame as Strange Meeting is really one of his finest works and to leave out entire lines from a poem, murders it in a small way. I had thought that feedback via Amazon was taken seriously by producers of Kindle products, but it seems I was wrong. In that case.... why am I writing this??? 3 out of 5 - as it is a joy to read the correct versions of the poetry included for such a good price - lost 2 stars though, for the original mistake and then having ignored the 'heads up' given from its readers.
on 17 July 2012
While it is good to have Owen on the Kindle, this edition does suffer the proofreading problems that so often bedevil publications for Kindle. For example, in "Strange Meeting" the line, "By his dead smile I knew we stood in Hell." is simply omitted.
on 15 November 2006
I particularly like this collection because it includes Owen's pre-war poetry, and I think the very great importance of Owen is that he shows how real poetry is born.

Before WW1, Owen was a very SKILLFUL poet, and the war added little to that, apart from the fact that any skill just improves with practice. But a computer can write skillful poetry. What happened in the War, was that Owen found something he CARED about, and WANTED to write about, so, all of a sudden, his poetry HAS HEART ... that takes it way beyond being merely skillful.

And, boy, does his poetry have heart! When he looks on a dead friend and rails, 'why did fatuous sunbeams toil to break earth's sleep at all!', you can feel the desparate anger; and lines such as: 'the pity of war, the pity war distilled'; 'the eternal reciprocity of tears.';'truths that lie too deep for taint'; and, of course, '... that old lie, Dulce et decorum est pro patria more!', where he makes his most outright plea against the false patriotism that was used to recruit young men for the trenches.

This poetry is a must --- and especially, like this edition, showing the early work --- for anyone who wants to see what REAL poetry is, and how it is different from mere skill. This poetry is alive, from the heart, and it packs a punch!
on 28 May 2013
In 1918 Owen was a footnote in the lists of poets who had died during the Great War, his poetry little known except among a close circle of fans. These included two giants of post 1914-1918 poetry Edmund Blunden and Siegfried Sassoon. It was their unflagging support that left us with the Owen legacy and in this publication (by no means the most complete or up to date) you have the indispensable memoir written by Blunden whose own writing on the war, at times, eclipses Owen's. It is for this reason and C.Day Lewis's introduction and notes that you should seek out a copy of this edition.
on 20 February 2014
I think the reviews listed here are a little muddled. This Kindle edition is not in fact the "collected" works, but actually only a version of the 1920 edition edited by Sassoon. There are none of his earlier works. As somebody else points out, it could do with some proofreading.
on 17 December 2013
Good content as expected. Structure and ease of access is more problematical as one often finds in pretty much free books on Kindle. Still a great read though so I would recommend it.
on 31 August 2014
I studied Wilfred Owen's poems in Sixth Form 40 years ago and now having reread them and in the centennial year of the First World War, it is now that I can appreciate the emotions and feelings that he is trying to put over to his readers.

I wonder what sort of advocate he would have been in the post war period if he had survived the war?
on 14 January 2013
i have always loved the poems of Wilfred Owen ever since i studied them at school. They never fail to bring a tear to my eye and as relevant today as they were when they were written. Times may have changed but war is every bit as futile now as it was then. Beautifully written.
on 17 August 2014
Wilfred Owen's poetry brings into your consciousness the horror of the First World War in extraordinarily haunting lines.
To hear these poems read while watching some of the footage of that hideous conflict would be an amazing experience.
on 16 February 2013
I purchased this for myself and my daughter and we have both been very pleased with it. I first encountered Wilfred's poems when my daughter was doing GCSE's and have been hooked ever since.

If you like poetry this is one to try.