‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Faerie lore tells the story of ourselves!, 31 Mar 2011
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
Brian Froud has created a book which takes us into the realm of Faerie and playfully challenges our perceptions and imaginations to go beyond what we think we know about "seeing" our world the little wonders that keep passing us by, if only we'd stop to look. As I turned the pages I saw Faerie lore is also a game in Froud's world and this book encourages us to take part in his game of "How to See Faeries".

The illustrations are sublime and amusing. Froud's gift is in being able to create characters that are beautiful and the ridiculous and have them side by side, he sees our life and interprets all we know into this fantasy landscape, telling the story about who we are, as spiritual beings in essence and a great deal of Froud's work is always trying to remind us of that quality, which we often over look in our natures in the face of modern desires. Faerie lore like our spirituality is ageless and holds the key to our happiness.

Frouds new book is an offering of how to find happiness and how we can get there with Faerie lore, it is all about knowing ourselves and having a love for life.

This is a lovely and entertaining children's book and an ideal gift for a growing imagination!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and Real, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
This is not an amazing and magical book...no.. this is an amazing amd magical EXPERIENCE! Enter...and be taken into the wonderful, quirky,mystical world of Faeries, which, you will discover, is not that far from your own.
I can only say go and experience it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to See Faeries by John Matthews, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
Beautifully illustrated title with pop up pictures, tabs and mirrors - a delight for little and big kids everywhere! Brian Froud at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute enchantment for small children and adult sized children, 3 Aug 2011
Length:: 0:51 Mins

This is a stunningly gorgeous and inventive book. It is probably designed for children who have a respect for books, and will be careful with the lifting or pulling of flaps and opening of pop-ups. But it definitely is a treasure for an adult who likes artwork which combines both Rackham and something darker. Will it help you to see faeries? I'd certainly like to think it might do this, but, whatever, if taken slowly and appreciatively it will make you smile, and view the spaces between leaves, under bushes and inside flower heads with a little more attention, a little more stillness and expectation. The thick, glossy, beautifully tactile pages make this a delight to handle, as well as to read, engaging the imagination and feasting the eyes. Delectable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most beautiful!, 20 April 2011
R. Burrows (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
This book is really something. I don't know how to explain how I felt when I flipped through the pages and read the words but I certainly felt something. If you're somebody who has an inkling that there are other things out there besides you and I, then this book is a beautiful beginning for you to learn how to understand the things we "think" we can't see. I say think because, as I read through it this afternoon (it isn't a large book and won't take you long to get through), I realised that I already knew and understood what Brian Froud and John Matthews were trying to explain. Did you ever think you saw something, maybe a face or a shape in the trees? Have you ever taken a walk through the park and felt that perhaps that tree by the lake was shaped like a man with his arms stretched out, waving hello? To me, this is what the book is trying to get us to do. It's allowing us to see what we already see, but with our hearts and not with our eyes. These things are out there, and I guarantee we've all had a glimpse of the "unseen". What this book does is try to explain it further, and get us to see more than just a glimpse.

It's filled with pop ups and beautiful imagery, some of which brought me to tears! Brian Froud has a gift all right. Combine that with John Matthews talent with words and you have a door to the World of Faerie that perhaps would never have been readily available to the avarage seer like myself.

Buy this book, and experience its wonder for yourself. I promise you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars From the heart..., 26 April 2011
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
No-one can put something in your hand that will guarantee you being able to see Faeries, but if you allow a journey to open your heart...well, you may learn that seeing is not necessarily believing, but experiencing may be knowing, and feeling may be believing, and seeing may be in the heart of the beholder.

Be prepared to be led to clarity through confusion, to truth through riddles and to a genuine glimpse or more of the Otherworld through a few pages of paper and card!

How to See Faeries is a much anticpated collaboration between two respected visionaries, the seer and author John Matthews and the mystical artist Brian Froud. Through what at times reads very much as channeled rhyme and prose and a series of visual clues and gateways, this book takes you on a breathtaking ride into Faery. It is all at once a delightful pop-up book for adults, a profound taste of the spiritual dimension within the land and a barrier-pushing visual treat. It is an adventure that repays the time spent within its pages, for if you do truly open your heart, slow down, and pay attention to the messages given, there are many different paths to Faery that may be discovered here. The book is a map to places full of wonder, you need only to open your heart and expand your mind to embrace the journey and find the destination.

And even if you don't find them, you may find that this is a gate that swings both ways! Be prepared for some interesting visitors...

5.0 out of 5 stars How to see Faeries, 13 July 2013
Mrs. L. Bohen (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
I didn't know quite what to expect from this book but was delighted as I unpacked it. It is for children and adult children who still have a sense of mystery and adventure. I love it. It is a bit special. Nice to pick up over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent escapist entertainment, 7 May 2011
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
Bought for daughter but read by wife and me as well, this is an excellent antidote for today's world of reality. Nothing wrong with some fantasy when gentle and non-violent. This hits the mark perfectly, whether you "believe" or not. Those who don't - lighten for God's sake - those who do - don't judge the simplicity. Just enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 22 April 2011
verlit (Czech Republic) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
Just what I have always wanted :-)
I just love the pictures, the texts, the use of imagination and reader/book interaction. I have always been fond of Brian Froud's artwork and the Fairy Oracle is my faithful companion these ten years or so but this book really surpassed my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting in every sense of the word., 1 Jan 2012
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
The illustrations in this book are literally out of this world. There are many surprises within the book as well like pop pictures and holograms. The narrative is so well written that you will end up believing in the Faeries. This is a truly beautiful and mystical book and one that will take pride of place on one of my many book shelves along with Good Faeries and Bad Faeries also by the same author.

By the way, a strange thing happened to me many years ago..............we were on our Harley Davidson driving along narrow country roads when suddenly I had an urge to look to my right at a steep bank............it was mid winter but there were Primroses out in a little circle and I swear to my dying day that what I witnessed was the doorway or portal to one of the Sidhe Courts.

A highly recommended purchase.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How to See Faeries
How to See Faeries by John Matthews (Hardcover - 1 April 2011)
13.59