5.0 out of 5 stars Enter the world of faery!
Published on 7 Aug 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars rudy! rudy!
fab book, I love it! I have not read any of the other books or seen them. I bought the book for my neice who is 10, she is a fantastic reader and far more mature than most her age. I thought this book perfect, however I didn't realise it has quite alot nakedness-some of which was in rather rude positioning, so please be warned if buying for children :(

So...
Published on 30 May 2011 by miss c

5.0 out of 5 stars Enter the world of faery!, 7 Aug 2005
This review is from: Faeries (Paperback)
This book begins with text written by artists Brian Froud and Alan Lee explaining why they love faeries and drawing them and other wee folk. Then there is the mythology side of it which gives us some background and understanding, all this text is surrounded by wonderful little drawings. The rest of the book then displays gorgeous work by both artists along with quirky little explanations of each drawing. If you love faeries you will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time favorite book, 27 Oct 1998
This review is from: Faeries (Hardcover)
Brian Froud is a mastermind. As a young artist myself....I grew up with this book..and it practically tought me to draw. I could never imagine life without it..I've just always had it. And I could never tire of it. It ages beautifully with its owner..all ages can read into it in different ways....as I have found...its stories change as I get older. If ANYONE out there has a copy of Brian Frouds Land of the Dark Crystal....please let me know...I'd love to purchase a copy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful! astonishing pictures, 5 Jun 2001
This review is from: Faeries (Paperback)
i remember seeing this book when i was a little girl. i have never, to this day, ever forgot the beautifully illustrated pages. this book would make an ideal unforgettable gift for anyone you cherish, a fantastic buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars At the turn of a page, and through the faerie veil.., 11 July 1997
This review is from: Faeries (Hardcover)
Float on the wings of a faerie, to a land that has existed for an eternity, and that will exist for eternities to come. Brian Froud and Alan Lee have created a marvelous book that weaves a magical tapestry about the reader, and won't let them go until the book is through with them! A perfect blending of typed and hand-written texts, and many differing styles of artwork help to make this volume a captivating sourcebook for lovers of the fae and light hearts everywhere! Colorful, richly drawn canvases reach out to the viewer to entrance them and hold them in the faerie world these two gentlemen speak so ellequently about. The combination of lovely prose, great sections of written verses and blurbs, and staggeringly beautiful, (and sometimes staggeringly jarring,) artwork make this book a true transportation device. Straight past the walls of reality and through the veils of the Enchanted World! I would recommend it to anyone with a free spirit, a grand imagination, and especially to someone who needs a

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs more than five stars!, 18 Aug 2000
This review is from: Faeries (Paperback)
I first bought this book years ago when it was first published. I still don't know why - it just seemed to call out to me from the shelf.
I fell in love with the faeries as a result of Froud's wonderful illustrations.
I've bought (and enjoyed) everything he's done since, but (sorry, Brian!) I still think this is far and away the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, enchanting, surreal and exquisite., 24 Oct 1998
This review is from: Faeries (Hardcover)
This was the book where I first encountered the artists Froud and Lee, and also where I discovered that faeries are indeed either ugly or beautiful, old and young; everything I had ever hoped and imagined, and more. Froud and Lee's breathtaking and altogether masterly portrayal of the intrinsic, metamorphic world of fantasy forever hovering at our fingertips, is truly masterly, and I have never encountered another yet which rates quite as highly as this. I would definately recommend this book to anyone who loves faeries, and/or queries the 'pretty' flower-faeries we tend to be bombarded with today. s This book has all my dreams, nightmares and fantasies woven together in it's intricate, detailed illustrations, the thick, scrawling lead pencil script... I cannot find the words to speak highly enough of this simply unique, marvellous book. I am an avid admirer of Froud and Lee's works, the faery-kingdom, faery poetry, stories, tales, photographs, illustrations, and can never have enough information on that mystical kingdom where people such as Thomas the Rhymer and Tam Lin vanish to, where a cup of wine can bind you a prisoner, where the young are old, and the old are yound, where anything is possible whether you believe or not. I for one, do strongly believe in faeries, and wish that I could see one. This book is - where are the words to describe it? Magnificent/Fabulous/Beautiful/Moving/Terrifying/Fantastic/Eye-opening - they are only some... I would like to congratulate Lee and Froud on their admirable skill for illustrations, the publishers for - well - publishing this book, and all the readers out there who fell in love with this book, which is a gift from faeryland itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait !!, 17 July 1998
This review is from: Faeries (Paperback)
I first saw this book in a store while attending University and fell instantly in love. I have waited 10 long years to own a copy of my own and finally I have it !!! I am familiar with the works of both Mr. Froud and Mr. Lee -- through my friend and author, Anna Marie Ferguson ( Legend : the Arthurian Tarot ). This book should be on the shelves of every child, so that they may keep the path to their imaginations open. Had this book been in my posession years ago, I know without a doubt it would have provided both comfort and inspiration to a young girl seeking a path to the land of the Fey. I have yet the words to describe what this book means to me. I will treasure it for the rest of my days - and entrust a copy to as many as possible.
I, too am in the process of choosing one of these exquisite depictions of the Faerie Folk to tattoo on myself, as an homage to the works of Mr. Froud and Mr. Lee.
Thank-you both for taking my hand and showing me the way. I als! ! o have a copy of "Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells" and "The Dark Crystal" my favorite film. I look so forward to collecting more of your wonderous works!
If you do not already have a copy -- hardcover, of course -- get one ( or six ). Everyone who has the priveledge of viewing mine wants one of their own!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Faeries" one of the most influential books of my childhood, 21 Sep 1997
This review is from: Faeries (Paperback)
My mother gave my a copy of "Faeries" for Christmas 1980, when I was 11. I was instantly enchanted with the idea of faeries as real beings, and accepted much of the text as truth. I fantasized about spotting faeries in the woods and rocks surrounding my childhood home, and made many (sophomoric) attempts to copy Brian Froud's illustrations. As an adult I even had a flower faerie tattooed on my ankle in homage to his art
My origional copy of "Faeries" is tattered and dog-eared, most of the pages have fallen out, and are hopelessly out-of-sequence, but I can't bear to throw it away. I count "Faeries" as one of the most influential books I had as kid growing up, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to any child (or adult) interested in faeries or mythology. The book is incredibly well-researched, and beautifully illustrated. The hand-written text can be difficult to read at times, but adds to the wonderful illusion of illicitly reading someone's journal
Bravo for reissuing this book, I am ordering my new hardcover copy today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Twenty-fifth Anniversary Edition Faeries, 1 Feb 2003
This review is from: Faeries (Paperback)
Another masterpiece from Brian Froud and Alan lee.
This book is an explination into the wonderful world of faries,
I have purchased many books on faries and some by Brian Froud , but this one it the best yet. It introduces you to the fairy world in a way that captures you forever. The book is bursting with the most amazing art, from sketches to paintings, all vervibrant and alive with emotion and passion.
My children also got so much enjoyment from it, It as with other Brian Froud works looks at both sides of the fairy world, not just the good but the naughty, medling elves and pixies.
I highly recomend this book for all ages and not just fairy enthusiasts, I know this could be enjoyed by all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful, 7 Nov 1998
This review is from: Faeries (Paperback)
Forget Madonna's Sex book. Forget cutsie "Coffee Tables from around the world" guides. Want a real book for your coffee table? Get this one. In fact, get everyone you know this book. It is art at it's highest, and teaches more about life and legend than any other book I've ever read. No distinguished home library should be without Froud's "Faeries". Although I am a rabid Froud fan, I can roundly recommend this book without bias. It is sheer mastery of an art form, and I believe Froud has done the Faeries proud. May his brush never slip, and the magic never fail him.

Faeries
Faeries by Alan Lee (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2010)
12.91