5.0 out of 5 stars Emperor's New Clothes or Design Genius?
Is Stefan Sagmeister the Emperor's new clothes of the design world, or does he really deserve the genius tag he's so often given?

Published on 12 Mar 2008 by ailsam

I was expecting more from this book. Instead, there are pictures of Stefan's work and few explanations. Not very informative.
Published 13 months ago by longyingqi

5.0 out of 5 stars Emperor's New Clothes or Design Genius?, 12 Mar 2008
This review is from: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far (Paperback)

After reading Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far, I firmly believe the latter. Sagmeister doesn't disappoint; he makes design fun and accessible, without dumbing down or losing effect - this book illustrates perfectly, both in content and format, that good design works.

The featured projects are fascinating; my reactions ranged from `oh that's sooo gorgeous,' to `how on earth....?' to `what HAPPENED to him to make him think like that?!'

It's beautifully put together - a design book that's not just for designers, with essays and Sagmeister's explanations of the projects, along with fantastic images.

As Sagmeister says, via the help of giant monkeys, "Everybody always thinks they are right," and I think I am in this case - buy it, swap around the covers to your heart's content, and enjoy your very own piece of Sagmeister!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can graphic design touch someone's heart?, 16 May 2008
Hemant Jain (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far (Paperback)
There are countless books on design and many of them are good, even brilliant. And yet one looks for something that is more than a design book with lots of designers' work. One always searches for a book that would act as a trigger, as a spark than can light a million ideas in one's own brain.
A book to do that was Alan Fletcher's Art of Looking Sideways.
And a book which surpasses everything that I have ever seen is Stefan Sagmeister's Things I have learned in my life so far.
Why? Because it is brutally honest.
It is what design was meant to be.
Sagmeister uses his own learnings and converts them into magic. You turn the pages and you are mesmerised by the immensity, the sheer scale of ideas there.
Your mind begins to fill up with images and words and ideas you never thought existed.
You turn the pages and it hits you: Thinking life will be better in the future is stupid. I have to live now.
And `now' to me started with the book. This book truly changed my life.
I have read the critics say many things like this book being self indulgent. Well, a man who take pains to go around the world to encourage design and design students cannot be self indulgent. He is honest. And every page of this book is a primer for honesty.
And of course, brilliant design.
Sagmeister's design and typography are stuff legends are made of. I am a mere mortal to comment upon those. But I can say this, I have never seen an explosion of so many brilliant ideas in one place ever before.
Stefan Sagmeister has always asked the question: Can design touch someone's heart?
This book will touch millions.
A priceless book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Chameleon, 24 Feb 2008
Adam Whitaker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far (Paperback)
There are lots of design books that are about design. Design books for designers. This isn't one of them - it's much more than that. The sheer richness of this book takes a while to take in - you will find new things every time you dip into it. This book is inventive, poignant, informative and unusual - but above all it is beautiful. There's such a wealth of ideas executed with style and an individual confidence that it is hard to say which is best, but I would say it's worth buying the book for the Singapore 'Keeping A Diary' section alone. Also there are a lot of monkeys, and that can never be a bad thing. Full marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is just great!!, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far (Paperback)
The creative boldness of Stefan explained by himself. It was truly a pleasure reading all the books. Din't want It to end. Amazing, clever and inspiring.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you really want to learn something useful this book may not that helpful., 14 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Sagmeister the Designer, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far (Paperback)
Stefan Sagmeister is one of my favourite Graphic Designers and is worldly renowned for his talent.

In this book he gets a chance to showcase his work over the past few years and explain how they came about, he gives his personaly critique aswell which is quite refreshing.

This is a must buy for any budding Graphic Designer as it is a great example of how Graphic Design should be, in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars PR-able Guy, 24 Aug 2009
Can Burak Bizer (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far (Paperback)
Beyond his design skills, Sagmeister knows how to be PR-able! The book is cool, but more in a sense of coffee table book.

5.0 out of 5 stars super visuals, 17 May 2009
Jay (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far (Paperback)
I consider this book as eye-candy.
The whole experience, from cover to pages, of this book is a pleasure. A great book for the visual reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 14 Dec 2011
Joseph Di Stefano "He tries hard" (Melbourne, Vic, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far (Paperback)
This is one of the most fantastic books I have read recently. With all the talk about physical books becoming more and more extinct, Stefan Sagmeister has created a conceptual piece of art that is inspirational, and more importantly for its functionality, has produced an item that demands to be interacted with. It demands that you touch it, play with it, change it around, open it, and wonder at the different effects that it creates to the visual senses.

Just a wonderful book/item/art/philosophy. It is all these things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 14 Jan 2010
This review is from: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far (Paperback)
I love this book. It's inspiring, thoughtful and visionary.
Highly recommend.

ARRAY(0xab8ac954)

Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far
Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far by Stefan Sagmeister (Paperback - 17 Mar 2008)
Used & New from: 15.00