5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 27 Dec 2008
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
I love this book i think that the images draw your attention and captures your imagination straight away. The way in which he takes the images are unique, almost like film stills, the lighting, colours and overall subtle narrative give an abandond feel as if something has happend or taken over. The charactors look dispondent they each draw you in to look at the details clueing together the pieces. I love the overall theme of his work although similar to earlier book 'twilight' the book is worth buying it is quite big which i love as big images absorb you all the more. His twilight scenes and interesting lighting techniques it what made Gregory Crewdson one of my favourite photographers.

5.0 out of 5 stars More stunning stills from a great photographer, 26 Nov 2008
T. Connor "www.toluco.co.uk" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
After researching Gregory Crewdson in University I became hooked on his photography. His images have this awe about them. Seemingly just ordinary photographs, but when you study each still you notice minute details that when brought together form elaborate yet magical scenes. When you read about how much thought, effort and money goes into creating each single frame, you begin to appreciate his brilliance.

This book is quite large, but that just means you get to see every frame in detail, and with 140 pages, the price makes this a bargain.

This book is great for anyone who appreciates imagery and is recommended 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best £20 I've ever spent !, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
Receiving this book was an absolute delight. Having only paid £20 for a hardback book I really didn't know what to expect, but honestly if you are currently unsure, take it from me and buy this book. It is beautiful, and £20 is an absolute bargain for its quality. Its a large, good quality book and the prints of the photos are wonderful. Having watched Crewdson's documentary film Brief Encounters I wanted to look at the photos properly and not just on my laptop. This was such a treat to open and enjoy, and there are also behind the scenes photos of the production side at the back of the book too which I found fascinating. I'm extremely happy with my purchase, its well worth the money and I have a lot of photography books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit repetitive, 13 Oct 2009
J. Taylor (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
The craftsmanship of the images is immaculate, but the subject matter is a tad over-familiar to followers of Crewdson's work. Some of the tableaux don't seem to go much beyond lazy shorthand of the dark underbelly of Americana, a la Twin Peaks.

The reproductions are a little flat in comparison to the exhibition prints I saw at White Cube.

There is a behind the scenes section at the back of the book that throws light on Crewdson's working method and the sheer logistic achievement involved in the creation of these images.

Overall, I rate the anthology of his ouevre much more than this tome, as ideas behind the photos are a bit stale comparatively.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captured Images, 20 Jan 2010
P. R. Brown "Amazon convert" (Lancashire. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my son for Christmas. He is a location manager for television.Personally I thought the pictures were excellent. Beautifully composed and imaginative. My son saw a great deal more. There was a lot left "unsaid" in the pictures and the viewer had to decide for himself what was behind a closed door or window.
A very impressive collect of prints. The book arrived in good condition , very well packed and undamaged. Excellent service for my very first order.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
The photographs in this book are out of this world. I just had to obtain a copy after seeing a exhibition of this artist works in Wellington New Zealand, what's more even after postage I saved a considerable amount than if I had bought it in New Zealand

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful haunting work, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
An absolutely beautiful book. Stunning images that make you look twice. Hopperesque with bells on. given as a gift and really appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money. A top quality photo book, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
Many art/photo books are too small to really appreciate the work but Beneath the Roses by Gregory Crewdson has beautiful, large photographs printed on quality paper and a sturdy hardcover that make this a top quality piece.

Crewdson is a master of staged scenes in which he creates mystical, ethereal and often dramatic images. He is a brilliant modern photographer and this book showcases many of his beautiful images. It's a joy to study the huge, colorful photos.

The only negative is the corners of the hardcover were slightly damaged as are many books I've received from Amazon but not badly enough to worry about returning. It obviously devalues items somewhat though and Amazon should improve their packing as at least 80% of the books I've bought have minor damage. Can't complain too much though as books are so much more expensive in Australia.

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful vision, 22 Sep 2012
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
I was drawn to this book after seeing Crewdson at work on a tv show on Sky Arts. The fact that he doesn't actually work his camera makes him seem all the more like a director rather than a pure photographer.

In fairness Crewdson's photos do read like film stills, caught in a narrative flow. This is both the attraction and weakness of his work.

The idea of giving us a movie still daws us into the narrative and makes us contemplate what exactly is going on. I think he deliberately leaves the meaning ambiguous most of the time in order that we bring something of our own sense of imagination to the table.

However, towards the end of the book he does seem to run out ideas slightly and it all feels a bit tiring. I began yearning for something a little less structured and formal.

Still, a very interesting book and something that pushed the boundaries of what a photographer and photography actually is.

To me Crewdson is a frustrated director / cinematographer who is grooving on the ability of the still image to contain so much narrative and suggestions.

An interesting but tiring read.

5.0 out of 5 stars dramatic suburbia, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: Beneath the Roses (Hardcover)
Beautiful photos of empty streets and human drama. Looks like he was inspired by Edward Hopper.
The book itself is also a work of art with behind the scenes material included.

Beneath the Roses
Beneath the Roses by Russell Banks (Hardcover - 4 April 2008)