5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - a 'must buy' book
Bought this on the spur of the moment whilst putting in an order for other items. Thought my 12-year old might enjoy it, but a bit of a gamble really - a birthday 'extra'.

Published on 1 Sep 2006 by L. Bailey

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly contrived
I hated this book. I read it before the concept of fairy tale characters living in modern times had been quite so run into the ground, but even then it felt pretty generic.

Published on 3 Jun 2012 by Karen El

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - a 'must buy' book, 1 Sep 2006
L. Bailey (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews

She didn't particularly rush to read it - didn't think it was her kind of book - but having finished her current book she picked this one up and loved it. Said she couldn't put it down - really 'grabbed' her imagination from the first page ! Raved about it constantly until I read it (and really enjoyed it too) and then nagged me to death until I bought the second book (which I'll definitely read)!

Really enjoyable book - a bit quirky, taking all the fairy tales you've ever known and turning them on their head. Try it now - we're glad we did !

5.0 out of 5 stars Really,really good, 7 Feb 2006
I have to admit I did pick up the book for the cover but was not disapointed ehen I read it! The characters were good and along with popular fairy tale characters, like snow white, the 3 little pigs, ect, there were characters from alice in wonderland and the jungle book(amongst others). This is one of those children's books that will be enjoyed by everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Discover the Truth Behind the Tales, 19 Sep 2008
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1): Bk. 1 (Paperback)
In the year and a half since their parents disappeared, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm have bounced around from one foster family to another, all of them horrid. And things aren't looking up. They've just been dropped off with their Granny Relda in the two of Ferrypoint Landing, New York. The problems? Ferrypoint Landing looks like a boring small town. And the girls had grown up believing that their grandmother was dead.

While Daphne quickly attaches herself to her strange new relative, Sabrina is far from willing to give her a chance. Especially when the woman starts telling the girls that they are the decendants of the Brothers Grimm and the stories are real. The case of a supposed giant in the area further irritates Sabrina. Is Granny Relda telling the truth? Is so, how can they stop a giant?

This series may be aimed at kids, but any adult would love it as well. I got such a kick out of seeing just who would pop up in the story. And the book doesn't just stick to traditional fairy tales. Characters from the Oz series and Alice in Wonderland pop up, for example.

The story started off a little slowly, mainly because it needed time to set things up. Once the book truly got going, I couldn't put it down. A couple scenes might frighten young children, but I think most of the intended audience should be okay with the events.

This isn't your normal happily ever after fairy tale. It is fairy tales for a post modern world. It is absolutely inventive and fun. I can't wait to read the second in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are Grimms and this is what we do., 28 Jan 2007
Two young and apperently orphaned sisters are sent to live with a grandma they had been told was dead.Daphene the younger who is very affectionate loves her Granny but Sabrina the elder and more cautious doesn't trust her nanny one bit.

And her susipsions grow when her so-said nanna starts rambling on about fairy-tales characters named Ever-afters who live in magical disguse in the town and who are unger spell made that forbids them to step out side the barrier of the town.According to the old woman this spell will last untill the last Grimm is dead.

She tells the girls that they are Grimms and that their job is to keep peace between humans and everafters.

Should the girls believe her or is "Granny" just am old crazy woman?

This book is highly enjoyable and is for ages 9+.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Funny & well written, 10 Feb 2014
Review by Jack - Yer 7

This is a book about two girls – Sabrina and Daphne – who are German-American orphans with the surname Grimm. They discover they are descended from the famous brothers Grimm and have inherited their ancestors’ role as fairy-tale detectives. They are soon swept up in their first adventure: they must help their grandmother (Relda Grimm) to stop a rampaging giant from destroying Ferryport (Fairyport) Landing. The Fairy-tale Detectives is the first in a series of six.
When I read the synopsis, this looked like a typical fairy-tale remake, but as soon as I began the book I was proven wrong. Mixing adventure with sisterly strife and reinventing ancient characters in an amazingly imaginative way, The Fairy-tale Detectives is an incredible story. I struggled to find any possible improvements to this book but an appendix with quick biographies of original fairy-tale folk would be useful to understand some of the more obscure characters.
The part of this book I like the most is when the children and Puck (the fairy king from Shakespeare) first enter the forbidden room and are shocked by what they find. The conversation which follows is truly hilarious. My favourite character is Granny Relda’s mysterious companion, Mr. Canis, who brings the novel to its stunning conclusion.
This is an interesting, funny and well-written story and I intend to look out for the rest of the series. I would say this book definitely gets 5 out of 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly contrived, 3 Jun 2012
Karen El (That soggy, grey island) - See all my reviews

I wanted to like the two sisters, but they annoyed me so much. They really contribute so little to the story, other than making the situation worse at every opportunity, attacking people that are trying to help them, trusting people they have been told to avoid, acting on wild assumptions that are invariably wrong, and then at the last minute doing the right thing by mistake and being heralded as heroes. Meanwhile, veteren monster hunter Grandma sits in a car waiting to be rescued for the best part of a week.

Expect any child with half a brain repeatedly asking you to explain all the holes in the plot.

The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1): Bk. 1
The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1): Bk. 1 by Michael Buckley (Paperback - 24 Jan 2007)