5.0 out of 5 stars The strange case of the origami Yoda

Published on 13 May 2010 by Jenny, Wondrous Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, 13 May 2010
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (Origami Yoda Books) (Hardcover)
I don't usually mention book covers in my reviews, but in this instance I have to. The Strange Case of Origami Yoda has one of my favourite covers of any book I own, and every time I look at it, I laugh. I'd have read it just for that reason, which I know is pretty bad because it in no way reflects the content. Still, it never fails to make me smile, and I really want to try and make my own Yoda! Orgiami isn't my area of expertise, but I'll give it a go.

The book itself is what you'd expect: fun and fast, with a few life lessons that middle grade readers will no doubt find helpful. Dwight and his Yoda finger puppet offer advice to a lot of people, often with hilarious consequences, including a legitimate reason to learn how to dance the Twist. It's random and entertaining, and by writing it as part of Tommy's casefile, Angleberger opened the floor to multiple narratives, doodles and hand-written notes.

Regular readers of my blog will know that I love novels that incorporate illustrations and diagrams into the text, as it adds a bit of variety and individualism to the story. I wanted to love Origami Yoda's text as much as I love the cover, but it felt a little flat to me. The characters never grabbed me, though I have been left with a soft spot for origami Yoda. He's so cute and wise, and made of paper. Star Wars fans will love the idea of him, I'm sure!

I think The Strange Case of Origami Yoda will be a hit with middle grade readers, as well as those looking for a quick, light read filled with Star Wars references and a very memorable character made from origami. Now, back to my paper folding instructions...

5.0 out of 5 stars The strange case of the origami Yoda, 11 May 2011
I noticed this book in my local bookshop and really liked the cover - Yoda is my favourite character in Star Wars. I really liked this book and my favourite chapter was origami yoda and the embarrassing stain. I couldn't put this book down until I had finished it and I wish it was longer. It was quite funny and I would recommend this book to all my friends. Alexander (Age 8).

3.0 out of 5 stars ... my 9 year old son and he says- I like this book but it didn't have a main story, 4 July 2014
I read this book to my 9 year old son and he says-
I like this book but it didn't have a main story. It was just talking about what Yoda did. The end part is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for reluctant readers and star wars fans, 13 Jan 2014
Mrs. K. Cross (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 13 year old sone who really doesn't enjoy reading but so far this and other similar books seem to be doing the trick!

5.0 out of 5 stars This has been a big hit with my 9 yr old son, 21 Sep 2013
He read it in a day and I have been ordered to buy the rest of the series. I haven't read it myself but the summary I've heard sounds benign and I like books that are about misfit kids finding their place in the world as my son is a bit of a misfit himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans, 20 Jun 2013
Flakes (Norfolk,UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this at the same time as Darth Paper Strikes Back by the same author - my 12 year old boy loves it and re-reads it often.

5.0 out of 5 stars ace!!, 10 Jun 2013
bought this as a pressie. my friend went straight to the back pages of this to make origami yoda! excited to see his puppet show now :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Son very pleased, 26 Jan 2013
My son enjoys this series of books. His friends and he enjoy making & playing with all the origami figures at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not really about Star Wars but..., 10 Jan 2013
Mr. I. D. L. Matthews (UK) - See all my reviews
Apart from the Yoda character this doesn't have much to do with Star Wars but my son and I really enjoyed it. The book is a series of mini stories based around a group of school kids. They all tie in nicely at the end with a heart warming finale. My son is 8 and this is maybe aimed at slightly older children with themes of boys and girls fancying each other although it is all good innocent fun. It is set in an American school too so there are cultural and language differences which I sometimes had to explain to my son. It is very funny and my son particularly liked my Yoda impressions! There are some nice cartoon drawings in the book As well. We can't wait to buy the second book in the series and thoroughly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 Jan 2013
My Star Wars loving nine year old son loves this book, together with the wookiee and darth vader ones too.

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (Origami Yoda Books)
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (Origami Yoda Books) by Tom Angleberger (Hardcover - 30 Mar 2010)
6.43