Format: Paperback|Change

Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Just don't buy it. It's an absolute waste of paper, an unfunny, structureless list and nothing more. There's no comical prose, no vicious scathing deconstruction of the rubbish things listed, just the list. Which includes hilarious entries such as 'taxes' and 'rape'. Are you serious, Romeos? I honestly cannot believe this was published, you could LITERALLY make your own, far superior version. In twenty minutes. And it wouldn't cost you a thing.

*Also, I didn't order it, a family member logged into my account and requested it for free off of Amazon Vine. Said member has since been ostracized. And whipped. And briefly, glared at.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I guess theres more than enough to be miserable about at the moment, without a book listing 11002 more reasons. However, I had high expectations, and expected it to be funny and entertaining. Unfortunately, I was completely wrong. What we have here is an endless list of quite ridiculous and unfunny reasons, with no accompanying text or narrative from the author. As such, it quickly becomes boring and repetitive. In short, its a complete waste of any readers time and money. Watching the news is likely to give you more valid reasons to be miserable than this, and its cheaper too.
VINE VOICEon 26 February 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I just don't see the point of this book. It appears to be a random list of bad things (eg. war, child abuse, cancer, earthquakes, etc). There's no humour, no discernable classification or grouping, that I can can see, and no revelations or knowlegable insite that anyone with more than half a brain cell wouldn't already know. Maybe the joke isthe book itself. .....That the thing to be most miserable about is that valuable resources of the planet have been wasted producing this sad effort.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I feel a little let down with this book. Yes, it is just a list that goes on and on for pages and pages, which ends up as a thick book, as thick as a Tom Clancy novel.

Some of the items are amusing like farting in elevators, cell phone bills, the wrong people wearing spandex etc, then some can be seen as offensive such as date rape and sprayed brain matter. Some don't even make sense at all and some seem to contradict things already listed earlier.

Overall this is a book you could pick up, turn to any page and start reading the list for a few minutes then put it down. You won't get enthusiastic about reading every page, instead just skipping it and randomly selecting pages to read.

11,002 Things to be miserable about ...... reading this book, having this book given to you as a gift, buying this book.
Just made it to 11,005 things to be miserable about.

Suggest you borrow it or try to borrow it to see if its your sort of humour before parting with any cash.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Christmas brings with it a selection of what I call 'Toilet Books'. Random, quirky paperbacks designed for consumption in the spare 44 seconds in the lavabo : you stare out there, mind absent in your man cave, and pick up one of a selection of titles designed solely to while away the odd seconds.

11,002 Things To Be Miserable About is exactly that. A random selection of names in a list that lacks any sense, semblance or order : It's technically a book, but that's where the resemblance ends. It's a web page, a blog post, an insubstantial collection that is just what it says it is. 11,002 things to be miserable about. And its boring.

Why? It's just a list without a collection or context. The average text reads

"Hitler
Mice droppings
Internet timeouts
Region coded DVD's
The end of the universe
Shaving"

Repeat that 1,980 times, and voila! You have your own stocking filler for Christmas. Though I must admit, this book is a complete waste of time : it's a totally random list of stuff that lacks any meaning. Now, we all know that Hitler is bad, obviously. But it would be nice to know why they think he is bad. Maybe one could set a list of bad things (Moustache, military uniform, power fetish, VD), for example then score him on the Top Trumps List Of Why You Should Be Miserable About Adolf. But no, not that.

This is a lazy book. Ask any curmudgeon, and given them a week, and I can guarantee they think think of 2,000 things a day they dislike. I could. What this book is is an unsatisfying, shallow, and unexciting list of stuff like weevils, dog pooh, dandruff, train timetables, and so on, without exhibiting anything more than that. It's just a dull, tedious list without wit.

Go elsewhere.
on 27 November 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I got this book I really wasn't sure what to make of it. The book is literally a list of 11,002 things that the authors thought we could be miserable about. I thought that maybe I would enjoy as the gimmick it obviously was, and sure enough one or two of entries in the list did make smirk a tiny little bit. So maybe I just don't get the book? Since other people have enjoyed it perhaps so; after all it is no secret what the book is about. What clinched it for me (and I'm not sure that authors were at fault here) is the 'review' at the back of the book;
"I'd been thinking about killing myself for a long time and reading this book gave me the courage to finally go through with it" -Roger Smith (deceased)
It was obviously meant as a joke, persoanlly I found it quite tasteless. The real point I'm trying to make here is that after going through pages and pages of this book, that was the only writing that actually caused a reaction in me and it certainly wasn't laughter.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 16 January 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What you get: a small, very chunky softback book with a miserable face printed on the page ends. The book is literally a list of 11,002 things to be miserable about, with no elucidation. It begins much as you would expect with Death, Life, Hitler, Erectile dysfunction...

What I liked: some of the entries made me laugh - such as disappointingly small monuments.

What I didn't like: if you want to re-find an entry, it's impossible to do so because there is no categorisation.

I'm not sure whom one would buy this book for - unless it was as a joke for a misery-guts - but they are just the people who can generally think up lots of things to be measurable by themselves...

And another thing - I quite LIKE small potatoes! They are nice and sweet!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I know what the title says but I was expecting a witty, satirical book about the things which make people miserable. What you get for your money is a long list of things which the authors think you can be miserable about. It is literally list after list of words or short sentences - there are no comments and nothing humourous. If this is a way to make money from a book, I am off to compile my own list of "Things to spot on interesting buildings"...should become a best seller.
I was so disappointed in this book and cannot recommend it even for a stocking filler or to make a miserable person happy! Waste of money
VINE VOICEon 22 November 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you check the picture of the book in the Amazon description, you'll see that there are photos of some of the book pages. Pay close attention! At first glance, you might think they're a contents listing, or an index. They aren't - that IS the book.

In other words, it is simply a list hundreds of pages long. A sample of one page is this:

Prenuptial Agreements
Ash Wednesday
Trolling the internet for sex
Lying about your height
Lying about your weight
Lying about your age
Robberies committed with pepper spray
....

..and so on.

So, it's simply not a book you would read. It may cause some humour at family gatherings to pick it up and read a few out at random. It might also work plunked in the smallest room, to pass a few seconds here and there. But, at best, I would think it will get 'old' very fast. I cannot imagine anyone ever actually reading the entire book! (They would probably deserve a medal if they did). For me personally, I lost interest after five minutes or so.

Quite the strangest book I think I've seen! But as long as you know exactly what you're buying and you've decided that you can make use of that, then fair enough. There is clearly no intent by the publisher to deceive about the nature of the book; it was my own expectations that misled me.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am all in favour of people mocking stupidly smug little books and at the same time making some money for themselves, but this book just isn't funny.
The list of 11,002 things that the reader shoud be miserable about includes; Cheap beer, The Alamo and Mistakes!
I mean I am sure there are things in this book that may make you smile but trust me they will not make you laugh. Don't waste your precious and hard earned money on this waste of time.