Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 August 2006
This a book primarily of spectacular images, supported by an interesting and accessible commentary, that will appeal to all ages, scientists and non-scientists alike - and change the way they think about the Sun for ever!

The amazing pictures lead us through sunsets, weather effects and aurora, as witnessed form the Earth's surface, to the more recent spectacular images we now have from satellites and space stations. The sheer scale of the weather activity on the Sun's surface is breathtaking.

From historical observations to future plans of how we might harness light to propel our spacecraft to study more distant stars, it is a book that combines science with art and a book that you will be drawn to pick up again and again!
on 3 November 2014
arrived really quickly in amazons bespoke book packing.
price was reasonable but not outstanding - but then I tend believe books to massively artificially over priced. - ebooks even more so.
All the usual initial items covered, now for the book.
I don't know how big I thought I was expecting it to be but was surprised it was so small - I haven't actually measured it but it looks about 6"x6" or 15cm x 15cm and about 1" or 2.5 cm thick.
ok quantity - now quality.
There are masses and I mean masses of beautiful colour pictures. So many there is little room for written pages. It will take not much time ( I was going to say 'no time' but that is ridiculous) to read.
A quick skim of the text reveals it to be interesting which sort of adds to the sense of loss of text because I'd like more of that.
Oddly I bemoan the lack of pictures in some books and now I find I'm lamenting the lack of text in this one. Perhaps the balance of images to text is a personal subjective level so others might like the balance here.
This might be a deal breaking issue if it were not trumped by the overwhelming amount of wonderful, fascinating, captivating pictures. Perhaps these alone make it a great buy.
ACID TEST: am I glad I bought it - yes
on 23 May 2014
Amazing book,brilliant pictures of what the sun can do to the scenery,fast delivery and a good price,well worth it,nice coffee table book
on 6 February 2014
Dad is a star gazer he wasn't overly impressed with the book not enough text, the picture quality was excellent though