Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 September 2007
A thick, 744 page book presenting the flavor of the world's premier city. Though the title suggests a visual year it is more a selection of photos arranged round themes: sports, travel, markets, the weather, construction, entertainment, civic events, personalities etc. Each gets a few pages with some images going back to the nineteenth century though most are from the thirties onward.

I thought the selection was quite impressive, there is something for every New Yorker here. Some of the names of the fifty-one photographers in the index will be familiar to readers of the Times. Neal Bonenzi, Sam Falk, Vincent Laforet and Ernie Sisto get the largest showing. Two of Laforet's are particularly stunning: his night time Manhattan skyline from July four 2005 with the sky alight with fireworks and the amazing shot from January thirteen, 2001 looking down on two workman repairing a colored light at the top of the radio mast on the Empire State (I was always curious about this photo because neither of them are wearing hard hats). An unfortunate omission, perhaps, is any work by Weegee. He brilliantly captured the lives of the working class over the years but his photos only appeared in the down-market tabloids.

The landscape format of the book works perfectly, the photos (with some in colour) are either one to a page or one to a spread, and all have comprehensive captions. This is a fascinating book, dip into it anytime to remind you of the rhythm of the city.

*I wonder if the publishers will do similar versions using the photo libraries of other great metro papers like the San Francisco 'Chronicle', Chicago 'Tribune' or the Washington 'Post'?
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I purchased this book for my wife a number of Christmases ago and it is still one of her favourite books to browse through.

The book is a series of 365 images, one for each day of the year over varying times throughout NYC.

The book is very substantial and measures 24x17x6cm

The quality of the print and pages is lovely which adds to the nice feel of this book and really makes for a wonderful gift.

I would describe the images inside as more for those that know and love New York City; by this I mean there are a lot of lesser known street images as well as images focussing on people as well as lesser known places in NYC.

All in all this book makes for a lovely coffee table book with its romantic and varied pictures of New York, or a lovely gift for those that are similar to my wife and adore this amazing city.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 23 April 2009
This book, New York 356 days, is one very good purchase I enjoy.
I have this book on the table of our living room for all our guests to see.
They have found the fate of "Normandie" resting on its side in the New York harbor.
When "United States" is arriving from her maiden voyage to her homeport and when the elevated steam-powered trains travelled along Third avenue. Where people crowded at White Star Office awaiting news of the "Titanic" disaster.
All these internationally known events are giving stimulus for topic of conversation, even tough I am living far away.
The book is easy to leaf through and is well done with excellent pictures.
Heikki Gartz, Helsinki, Finland.
on 28 January 2011
"A Picture is worth a thousand words" reputedly uttered by an Advertising Industry Journalist and how apt for the Big Apple. the only trouble with books as diverse as this is that they leave you wanting more... More depth on certain chosen images, the stories behind them etc. If you like NY and you like good photography then you'll enjoy this book.
on 17 November 2010
The only minus would be that the reproduction quality is not excellent, but it is good enough. The range of photos is amazing, and they span along time period. It is a good coffee table book and does the title justice.
on 4 October 2010
Well if you love photography, history or just New York in general this is a good have. I bought this for my partner because her love of New York and found myself loving this book more then her. I would definitely recommend this to a friend.
on 26 March 2014
I bought this book for my niece's birthday, I hadn't seen it & just went with the excellent reviews on Amazon.
She loved it so much that I had to buy a copy to see it for myself, so I bought a second hand book, also on Amazon, which was in very good condition & I'm so glad I did treat myself!
I adore New York & found this to be such an interesting book, the photo's are wonderful, some recent & some from the 1900's,in both black & white & colour, with interesting & informative comments on each page.
A must for lovers of New York, it's a very thick book, so I've spent many happy hours browsing through it.
Of course, having bought this book, I now have to start saving as it makes me want to revisit the city even more!
on 24 September 2014
Originally bought as a gift, I decided to keep this as the images included are amazing. Good quality black & white and colour prints bring the city to life. I love New York and looking at this book revives my memories of my visits. Couldn't put it down when I got it and it makes me smile every time I look at it. A brilliant book for anyone who loves the city.
on 16 January 2012
Good sized book for a gift, or a coffee table if so desired! Good quality pics. Really pleased.If you're a real, serious, photographer, perhaps not enough for you....but as I say, great for the amateur photographer who loves NYC!
on 1 August 2013
This is a great book for lovers of New York or those interested in photography. Contains some amazing photos and great to have lying around on the coffee table!