1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent/Left with many questions, 3 Aug 1998
By A Customer
I read "Kaddish" today, and I am left with many questions. I rated it five stars not due to comprehension, but the fact that I was intrigued and sensed the depth of the book without being able to explore as much as I would like. I had read excerpts in "The New Hungarian Quarterly" in the early 90's (probably 1993) and was taken enough to recognize the title in the book store (the K section usually holds many Hungarian authors.) The book is written as a stream of consciousness monologue that repeats/re-explores various themes. Stories, events are hinted at early on and revisited throughout, though perhaps not related in full until late in the novel. This requires patience, as many times I felt like I had missed something, but in reality had only been offered a partial telling. Also, much of the monologue is philosophical and the mere syntax required several readings to understand. These may sound like criticisms, but they are not. The voice is! consistent and intriguing; I wanted to know where each thought/recollection was leading, and I was fascinated even when I didn't understand. I don't want to relate specifics of the book-- they would only be superficial as the structure of the novel is complicated. I am very interested in hearing from others who have read "Kaddish for a Child Not Born." If you have read it and feel motivated to type, please contact me.

Kaddish for a Child Not Born
Kaddish for a Child Not Born by Katharina M. Wilson (Paperback - 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01