5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Demons and Hot Women
I could give you a review of the story but, everyone else has done that so, here you are.
I hate to draw comparisons to other characters but, i think i must. If you liked Buffy then be prepared to be blown away by Megan Chase. If you liked Ripley in the Alien films then you will find the next female hero.
This is a strap yourself in book. A great read which...
Published on 15 Jun 2008 by S. B. Welsh

3.0 out of 5 stars More romance than Urban Fantasy
I was looking forward to reading this book as I was hoping it was the start of another new promising urban fantasy series, but very early on in the book I realised that it was more what I would class a 'paranormal ROMANCE' than urban fantasy.

Published on 27 July 2009 by Dixie81

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Demons and Hot Women, 15 Jun 2008
S. B. Welsh "von_lipwig" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Personal Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a strap yourself in book. A great read which carries you from one page to the next and is impossible to put down. Great sexual tension which (thankfully) exposes itself but, is not casual, as it is also a contribution to the storyline. In a fantastic story, it lends itself to realism and deals with the fact that the heroine is allowed to be scared out of her wits. Who would not be with Zombies kicking in your bathroom door.
In conclusion, buy it and read it. You will be definitely gasping for the next one. January 2009, bring it on.

4.0 out of 5 stars First in a New Urban Fantasy Series, 7 Jun 2008
This review is from: Personal Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
Megan Chase has just started work at her new radio phone-in show, where she offers to slay her listener's personal demons. Unbeknownst to her, however, personal demons actually exist (everyone in the world has one except Megan) and they take her vow to eradicate them slightly personally (excuse the pun).

I think Personal Demons is the first urban fantasy I've read which is written in third (albeit a very tight third) person. It was a book of two parts for me. I found the beginning quite slow, a lot of build up whilst you're waiting for something to happen.

Having said that, once something does happen and Malleus, Maleficarum and Spud (the cockney demons) turn up on page 89, suddenly the story takes off with a blast. So if you're reading this and want to give up, don't until page 106, when you'll have read a chapter of M,M&S. So first person - no, gutsy female protagonist with a mysterious past - yes, sexy demon with an ulterior motive - check. Until M,M&S turn up, it was Greyson Dante the aforementioned sexy demon that kept me reading.

"...Do you want to talk or not?"
He sighed. "No. Well, I did, but now I don't. You lied to me."

Megan is perhaps not the most instantly engaging urban fantasy heroine I've ever read. She's not as interesting a protagonist when Dante or M,M&S aren't there for her to spar with. But by the end of the book she'd grown on me. And rather than sitting back and letting Dante protect her she takes proactive steps including receiving some training in how to focus her powers from a somewhat snarky witch - Tera. Admittedly some of her proactiveness stems from her refusal to believe Dante is a demon, but once she's seen his spinelets she changes her tune. (LOL)

Dante on the other hand is sexy, sneaky and as well as keeping tabs on Megan is manipulating the situation to his advantage. He is an anti-hero. This is one of the big plusses of the book for me. He is a demon and Stacia Kane doesn't try to make him something that he isn't.

If I had any quibbles it would be that in a couple of places I felt like we skipped stuff so we could get to the action and that Megan didn't always listen to what people were trying to tell her. But other than that I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to Book #2 Demon Inside January 2009.

3.0 out of 5 stars More romance than Urban Fantasy, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Personal Demons (Mass Market Paperback)

Now I definitely don't mind romance in a book but not when the whole plot seems to be there to progress the relationship of the herione and her male love interest. The plot at times is interesting and some characters show promise for further books in the series, but my main gripe was the heroine herself who I couldn't warm to at all. I also couldn't see any chemistry between herself and the demon Greyson Dante, although in the book they're having sex within a week of having met!

Having said that, I did enjoy some parts of the book and the prose does work to a certain extent for the genre.

The overall plot had too many holes and I felt not much was explained to my satisfaction. I don't think I'll be reading the next book in the series.

If you want proper urban fantasy books with meaty plots, wonderfully written characters and a smidgen of romance that progresses naturally through several books then try: Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels series), Patriciak Briggs (Mercy Thompson series), Karen Chance (Cassie Palmer series) and Kim Harrinson (Rachel Morgan series)

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish the book..., 6 April 2011
Elle L "of the Dark Woods" (Belly of the Beast (Athens)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Personal Demons (Kindle Edition)
What a shame. I absolutely loved Stacia Kane's Unholy Ghosts trilogy and ordered this straight away, imagining a similar roller coaster and intense world building. I could not get into it. Maybe the female lead was a bit too self-involved and neurotic, maybe the male lead not convincing enough, i kept asking myself, why does he like her? How is this explained? Who is he really? The best redeeming quality are the 3 cockney demons, they are absolutely hilarious!
It is an earlier book of Kane's so maybe she was just warming up for the amazing trilogy that was Downside Ghosts. I did not find Terrible or Chess in this one. Could not finish it. Maybe i ll give it another go on holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new series, 19 May 2008
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Personal Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
Dr Megan Chase is a counsellor and now has a radio call-in show which gives her the title of 'Personal Demon Slayer'. It's a joke title, of course, but unfortunately for Megan various real personal demons don't realise that and a mini war is started to have Megan on their side. Megan meets the mysterious Greyson Dante, a lawyer (or is he) who seems to want to protect her and has some strange bodyguards that he issues her. A reporter wants to write a feature on her and soon discovers the guilty secret from her past - along with some other secrets. Megan attends a group therapy session that makes one want to run the other way screaming. And she begins to see strange things lurking on people's shoulders. All this whilst trying to keep her radio show going and placate the other partners in her counselling practice makes for a busy few days for Megan. But there is something significantly darker trying to get hold of her - can she keep herself safe when she can't trust the motives of anyone else?

This was a really enjoyable read with great pacing and some interesting settings. It wasn't particularly innovative but it still felt fresh and the variety of characters added to the interest, although some of them weren't very convincingly explored. For example, the reporter character Brian wasn't all that clearly drawn and his behaviour seemed rather unlikely for a reporter - in other words, he didn't appear to write about any of the amazing events happening around him. Megan herself is well drawn, however, and she was a likeable and believable characters; Greyson Dante was necessarily mysterious and his motivation was hard to fathom but he was an appealing character and the sparks between him and Megan were well written. There are various technical terms for different demons and their organisational structure given and not explained, along with other plot elements that felt rather vague, but it was overall a good read and the beginning of what seems to be an interesting series featuring Megan and Dante.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book Helen Hancox 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars Demon bodyguards straight out of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels..., 30 Aug 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Personal Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoy Kane's writing, but I felt this lacked the finesse, depth and edge that is needed in this genre to stay above water.
Although certainly not her finest work or a clear indication of what she is capable of, it does contain her trademark sense of darkness. Perhaps only a shimmer of it in this case, but it is there.
Saying all that I found the three bodyguard demons Malleus, Spud and Maleficarum highly amusing and chuckled quite a few times while I was reading. Then again maybe Kane and I share a strange sense of humour, because the shower scene just cracked me up.
Having read Kane's Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1)I know that she is a talented author with a penchant for gritty and often for the reader uncomfortable characters. Unfortunately her specific panache just wasn't apparent in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read :), 23 May 2012
This review is from: Personal Demons (Kindle Edition)
Personal Demons was actually much better than I expected, I've read all the Downside Ghosts series and have to admit this wasn't quite as good. However, the book was fun with plenty of romance and the plot was still substantial. The whole premise of the book was pretty interesting, the demon brothers are quite funny in a 'little nicky' kind of way and the big bad guys were all mean and scary. I did miss the usual grit of Kanes novels, especially her usual scary gory bits which freak me completely out. Although there are couple of nearly creepy scenes in Personal Demons.
Greyson was a smooth talking suit but still likeable and there are lots of supporting characters who had enough depth to be interesting. All in all, not a bad book but certainly not Kane at her best. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal Demon Definately a fun read, 14 Jan 2013
M. Bose - See all my reviews
This review is from: Personal Demons (Kindle Edition)
Such fun to read,Stacia is an upcoming Kelley Armstrong.
The author was relaxing and engrossing with her book i did not want to put it down
I definitely advise you to give her books a go its worth it.
I hope Malleus, Maleficarum & Spud will be making more appearances.
Thankyou

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Damn Good, 1 Jan 2011
Miss Fletcher (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Personal Demons (Kindle Edition)
Megan was an interesting character that kept me entertained throughout. Was not thrilled with her attitude at the end toward Greyson, but the ending was surprisingly 'happily ever after'.
The story had me thinking about demons in a more traditional sense, and I loved the three thug boys (Mal, Mall and Spud). The concept of demon families (Meegra's) making social power plays for dominance over human souls was unique. Very mafia.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Personal Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read a lot of the vampire romance novels recently I started to look for something along the same lines but still in the supernatural style. Thats when i came across this a minded reading,emotional numb head doctor.Who unknown to her had out and out challenged all the little personal demons that are sat on our shoulders. To be honest i didn't feel blown away with the discription on the cover but finding nothing else at the time i thought "why not".I must say that it past all my expectations and i fully enjoyed this book. Megan is funny and very level headed I do find however that she does not come across as very emotionally involved and excepts everything to easily for my liking,but shes very well developed in every other way.
Her love interest is everything a good looking,powerfull,confident male demon should be. Dante lies, and tells her half truths or just does not tell her anything but not once does he appologise or pretend to be good.He is what he is and to me that is so refreshing that the bad guy does not end up all noble and does the right thing,the only thing your sure of is the fact that he cares for Megan and at times that seams doubtful.
The demon gardians that Dante assign to her lighten the book at times and bring a comedy element especially when they are doing Megans hair and make up.
The secondry characters like Brian and Tera are there and i can see why but other than that they dont make a impact. I did enjoy this book and would recommend it for any one who is looking for a funny lol book.

ARRAY(0xb2233e4c)

Personal Demons
Personal Demons by Stacia Kane (Mass Market Paperback - 22 April 2008)
4.90