Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 August 2002
A wise, witty, wonderful book filled with tips for those very bad days when you're just about at your wits' end with the kids. Just about everything you can think of is addressed in this book for parents of TOTS to TEENS. My only criticism is that I think it is difficult for one book to cover some subjects such as lying, bad words, the gimmees, fears, and anger-as they pertain to BOTH 3-year-olds as well as to 17-year-olds. I have recently found another great guide, literally pocket-sized, with hundreds of tips that work for very young children. "The Pocket Parent" has been designed in a similar A-Z friendly format--however, "The Pocket Parent" is EXCLUSIVELY written for the preschool years (2's, 3's, 4's, 5's). Since I personally have many issues of concern with my 3-year-old twins, I found more age appropriate strategies for some troublesome preschool behaviors in "The Pocket Parent". I think both books are a must for restoring a parent's sanity on the spot. And, both books are filled with compassion and humor, thereby helping a frazzled mom or dad to know for sure that all parents ocassionally have a really bad day! That thought is a great comfort in itself. Thanks Elizabeth! You have obviously "been there, done that" along with us...and that makes you a truly credible expert!
on 2 March 1999
Few publications on parenting within the nuclear family offerinsightful advice regarding stepfamilies. KID COOPERATION and PERFECT PARENTING are excellent examples of the exception to that rule. Both offer a fountain of 'can-do' advice that is not only practical, but respectful of parents and children alike. We have already applied several of her helpful suggestions in our stepfamily - and they REALLY work! We recommend both publications, along with the video. They will help you to respond to your children, rather than reacting to them. [OSA - Ontario Stepfamily Association, ON. CANADA]