Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 October 2010
David Richo is one of my most favorite authors in the field of psychology & spirituality. His attitude towards life is deeply soaked in mystic wisdoms, ancient insights and contemporary knowledge.

In most of his works Richo subtly combines Buddhism and the wisdom tradition within Christianity with his thoughts and experiences as a practicing psychologist. Yet, never does he push any agenda, apart from offering his readers the tools to find their own ways out of issues, themes or problems that might have arisen in their lives.

This book, 'When love meets fear', is for me one of hist best. I must admit though, that the first time I read it, it somehow fell of me like water off a duck's back. somehow it ddn't resonate, and I couldn't get what he was trying to say.

Then, some years later, I read it again. And it hit home, hard. Maybe I had grown mature enough to see what he was trying to say; maybe it was because I found myself in a deep-dark place when I read it. Especially the third chapter, about the 'void' which is depression at its worst, struck a chord in me. The way in which Richo made connections to the lessons of Buddhism and mysticism about 'emptiness' and 'the void' allowed me to see the first glimpses of light in which was a hectically dark time.

For the first time in my life was I able to see my own 'descent into darkness' not as something 'absurd' or 'pathetic', but as a process through which every conscious adult will have to step to actually transform into a mature personality.

The second part of his book, with practical advise, made not much of an impression on me. Yet, the offering of 'the void' and the way in which Richo describes it make this book one of the most seriously abused books I have in my library.
on 3 August 1999
Finding this book when I did was the perfect psychological/spiritual prescription for helping to heal, not only some old fears, but also some new surprise anxiety panics. It helped turn my fears into calm emotions of self-knowing and self-acceptance. I sleep better at night since having read this book.
on 30 June 1999
This is the second Richo book I have read ("How to Be an Adult" the first) and thought I could not feel so rewarded again. I was. It's another of his books to read and reread.
on 25 December 2014
This has been one of the most helpful and insightful books I have read. Prior to this I read Richo's 'How to be an Adult in Relationships', again excellent, but this book in particular has accompanied me through my own void and will help me to avoid repeating the same patterns in future. It is well written and easy to read, full of inspiration.
on 7 August 1999
This book has been incredibly helpful on my journey of self discovery. Like Richo's earlier book, How to Be an Adult, this is an intelligent, well-written, and fascinating exploration of deep psychological processes. This is a book I pick up and refer to over and over again. I love the quotes peppered thoughout. Finally, a self-help book that really helps!
on 19 March 2013
Enjoy this guys books. Easy to read and lots of practical ideas about addressing issues which I think folk need at times. Came soon after order placed.