on 4 December 2010
A beautiful little booklet. This is the first of Vanier's books that I have read, but probably no the last. For a little book it has a lot in it, and I simply couldn't read it all in one night. It seems to me to be a lifetime of experience distilled into two short lectures. Amazing stuff really.

Vanier speaks from deep experience. This is not your usual pop-Christianity, which is all about self-promotion, self-respect, and so on. Though it will cause some self-realization.

Vanier seems to be a very sincere man. So much out there of what I read seems so fake like the author is putting on a mask. People (including me) are so good at that, and Vanier has learned to take the masks off through his experiences with handicapped people.

The stuff I read in this book I can put to use in any relationship. When I read his definition of love I thought "I should be treating my wife like that, but so often I don't.

I would heartily recommend this book to anyone, especially at the low price I got it for.
on 17 February 2013
A beautiful, deeply moving book. An incredible record of how a famous christian writer and holy priest actually found peace and happiness at last , living among the most unexpected people.
on 1 July 2013
If anyone is interested in an authentic living experience with others, they should face their own darkness by facing the darkness of helplessness and learning to commune with others!
on 10 June 2011
Jean Vanier, the 'father' of L'Arche Communities all over the world show how we all function together, whatever start we had in life... a great read!
on 8 August 2015
Beautiful insightful book which can be read time and time again. Excellent author who offers hope for a troubled world
on 28 February 2015