5.0 out of 5 stars Respecting Everybody's Body
Published on 14 Jun 2005 by BeatleBangs1964

2.0 out of 5 stars Caution please - the world is not all bad!
Published on 24 July 2009 by AParent

5.0 out of 5 stars Respecting Everybody's Body, 14 Jun 2005
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Your Body Belongs to You (Paperback)
How I wish this delightful book existed when I was child. Until fairly recent years, most children were warned about the cliche stranger, but very seldom was the issue of predators children knew ever addressed. When I was a child, I honestly thought a double standard existed - improper touching was only frowned upon by one's caretakers if done by strangers. During those years, I wondered why nobody ever said if children had any recourse if they were confronted with "bad touches" by people they knew.
This is a wonderfully empowering book. It also dispels the myth of the candy-bearing stranger, lurking on playgrounds and parks if indeed he ever even existed. Statistics have shown that "bad touches" are very rarely done by strangers! The text is gentle and simple without being overly so; it is something I would happily present to every child from 2 on up as well. It is timeless; the message of assertiveness and respect for boundaries and the human body at large can never be over emphasized.
I also like the way the book encourages children not to keep secrets if they are approached and touched inappropriately or made to touch someone else against their will. Private parts are rightfully defined as the parts of the body one's underwear and bathing suits cover. My favorite point the book stressed was what to do if the touch is neither wanted nor welcome and that it is perfectly all right not to want to be touched in certain ways. The most important service this book does is distinguishes "good" and "bad" touches and that for the most part, hugs and kisses are perfectly fine and acceptable.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It will certainly help empower children of all ages and will also help to put an end to keeping harmful secrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource, 29 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This book is the only one of its kind that I know of, that is aimed at very young children. It helps parents/foster carers/childcare workers talk about body boundaries with children as young as two. I am a Play Therapist and have found it very useful in my work with families.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Your Body Belongs to You (Paperback)
I was pleasantly surprised that this book is fun - my 3 year old loves it and has referred to it in situations. For eample, we were out and I didn't want to go on a very large slide with her & her Dad.
she thought about it and then said 'it's okay you don't want to, Mummy, your body belongs to you.'

The one fault in this book is the explanation for it in the front pages, which older children could also read. I think I'm going to rip them out, but it's a shame to have to damage the book.

Otherwise, though, it gets across a very valuable message without being at all frightening or overly serious. I'd highly recommend it for parents with young children around 2-4 years

2.0 out of 5 stars Caution please - the world is not all bad!, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Your Body Belongs to You (Paperback)
This book would be far better without the 'note to parents' at the beginning! Many children will either be able to read this for themselves or want it to be read to them as part of the book. It might be better included at the end or perhaps not at all. Other gripes I have with the book are the fact that Mum & Dad as a trustworthy party aren't introduced until page 10, and also the fact that it is implied on page 12 that someone touching you 'when you need help in the bathroom' is always acceptable which is clearly not true. This book is overly cautionary in some ways and neglects some important aspects of abuse in others. Chidren are not stupid and should be encouraged to have the confidence to question any adult (especially their parents and teachers) about anything they are unsure about. People who do engage in inappropriate behaviour towards children will find themselves tying themselves in knots if children have the confidence to question them and the other adults around them! Please, as parents and repsonsible adults, let us try to have the highest possible standards in terms of our children and consequently keep them safe without suffocating them and making them think that the world as a whole is a dangerous place. Largely, it and most people in it are fantastic and are to be appreciated!
As a slight sideways note, the book Stranger Danger? (Colour Young Puffin) by Anne Fine is an excellent example of how to teach children sensibly and realistically about a similarly sensitive subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Curious minds!!, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Your Body Belongs to You (Paperback)
This is another book I bought to explain things to my 7 year old son. The wording is simple and effective. I would definitely recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Your Body Belongs to You (Paperback)
Fantastic book for empowering children to say no. It makes them aware of right or wrong cuddles or touches. Helping them protect themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Your Body Belongs to You (Paperback)
a great book on helping children understand that their body is there's and how to be safe, a must for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Your Body Belongs to You (Paperback)
This really is an excellent book to teach children about healthy boundaries and to build confidence in being assertive about their own bodies. I notice that some books on this subject can easily lapse into fear mongering and the last thing I wanted to do was scare my children (age 5 and 7) or let them think that the world is a place to be feared and intimidated. That said, I also wanted to be as honest as I can with them about the fact that not everyone has good motives and that they have the right to protect their own personal boundaries. Its a very tricky balance and I feel that this book achieved it spot on. It was very simple, yet honest, without being scary. It basically teaches children that their body belongs to them and that they have a right to protect their bodies and their privacy and stand up for themselves should someone try to disregard that. My kids both got the message in this book and it prompted a really good discussion afterwards about the notion of privacy, rights, and not keeping secrets etc.. Highly recommend this book for what can be a very difficult subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers what you would expect in an unobjectionable way, 9 May 2014
Juliette (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Body Belongs to You (Paperback)
This book covered roughly the things I wanted to cover with my three year old. It's not exactly the sort of book that will leave them rivetted but it doesn't contain anything that I can imagine anybody objecting to, which is basically what you want from this sort of book.

The basic messages in the book are:

- Most of the time it is nice to be touched/hugged/kissed, but sometimes you don't like being touched even by somebody you love, then you can say 'No, not right now please', not kiss/hug back or you can pull away, and that you can still be friends. If somebody doesn't understand, get your mum, dad etc to help you.
- Some places - your private parts - should never been touched by other people unless they are helping you in the bathroom, getting dressed or when you go to the doctors. If anybody tries to touch them, you should tell your parents or other grown up you trust.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my four year old and it is perfect for his age, 21 July 2014
Ms. Sarah L. Morse (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Your Body Belongs to You (Paperback)
Well written, simple. Bought for my four year old and it is perfect for his age. Would highly recommend it.

Your Body Belongs to You
Your Body Belongs to You by Cornelia Spelman (Paperback - 16 Oct 2006)