5.0 out of 5 stars extraordinary, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Land (Concord Library) (Paperback)
A book like this, of such grace of prose, and power of insight, is a rare thing. It's an astonishing survey of sweep and scale, that leaves you gasping: with the realisation that your understanding of the country you've inhabited all your life is alarmingly superficial when compared with this vividly brilliant focus.

I can appreciate why Jacquetta Hawkes' approach might have lost favour in the period since her passing, as (huge generalisation!) academic analysis and research methods have tended towards more objective / forensic / micro-scale examinations - but as a manifesto for why we should all love this ground we stand upon, it seems to me to be powerfully compelling.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during dinners at the Priestley / Hawkes household!

Lyndon Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A Land, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Land (Concord Library) (Paperback)
I have never read a book that so raised my consciousness of the world around me, its past, its present and its future. The writing is wonderful and so encourages re-reading of sentences or paragraphs that it has taken an inordinate amount of time to read.
I loved it.
Jack Massey

A Land (Concord Library)
A Land (Concord Library) by Jacquetta Hawkes (Paperback - April 1991)