Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Customer Reviews

4.8 out of 5 stars5
4.8 out of 5 stars
5 star
4
4 star
1
3 star
0
2 star
0
1 star
0

Your rating(Clear)Rate this item
Share your thoughts with other customers

There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.

on 21 January 2013
Prayer may be stressful confusing even questionable. The author draws us deep into the heart of the saviour with this beautiful invitation to pray with Him through His own word. Enjoy
0Comment|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2012
I find this book to be very inspiring and informative on the Psalms. Dietrich Bonhoeffer has always been one of my heroes so I was pleased when I found this particular book on Amazon.
0Comment|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2015
Bonhoeffer argues that following a schedule from a prayer book, independent of the fallibly perceived needs of the person praying, is not only a useful training ground for improvisatory prayer, but also a worthwhile activity in its own right. He further argues that the Psalms can be used as an excellent prayer book.

To do this, he interprets the person praying as praying in the company of Jesus Christ, with the protestations of innocence and suffering the innocence and suffering of Christ, and the vengeance the just vengeance of God, to be satisfied by the sacrifice of Christ.

Bonhoeffer later recommends morning prayer, to start the day off as it should go on. In general he regards prayer as acting largely on the person praying: "For this reason he gives us earthly prayers, so that we can better recognise him, praise him, and love him."

Only 70% of this short book is Bonhoeffer: the other 30% is a short biography of him similar to others that I have seen. However, this short 70% is in a very clear and readable translation, and carries such a striking and at least self-consistent message that it is difficult to feel short-changed. You even get some interesting asides, such as a remark on the suitability of Hebrew parallelism for antiphony.

Ultimately this book stands or falls by how the reader reacts to close inspection of the Psalms. As Bonhoeffer remarks, the Psalms have, historically, often featured very strongly in Christian worship (e.g. the month long schedules for morning and evening worship in the traditional Book of Common Prayer), so if the reader struggles with them, they will at least be in good company.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2015
I'm a Bonhoeffer admirer - enough said.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2015
Incredibly helpful.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

Send us feedback

How can we make Amazon Customer Reviews better for you?
Let us know here.

Sponsored Links

  (What is this?)