4.0 out of 5 stars More than just a scientific genius...
Albert Einstein will always be remembered as one of the great minds of our time. But not too many people think of him as a great societal thinker as well. Albert delves into many touchy subjects in this book (having grown up during the most devastating era mankind has ever known).
Published on 17 Dec 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS!!!
I didn't actually buy or read this book, so why am I telling you not buy this? Because I noticed that this book is actually just a short version of a different book, called "Ideas and Opinions". Ideas and opinions is about twice as long as this one, and it has all the material that this book has (and more).

So if you want to know about Albert Einstein, the man,...
Published 8 months ago by Elias Jarvinen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just a scientific genius..., 17 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The World As I See It (Paperback)
The one downside to this book is that there are a few (only a few) passages where you really don't know who he is talking to, and little reference is given on these to help you, the reader, figure them out.
I was thoroughly impressed that this genius, mental marvel of the 20th century could convey his message so clearly in most of the essays and writings. He talks about religion, minorities, war, and other issues facing humaity today that are highly debated in all circles.
A good buy, a great mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary man, 14 Feb 2009
Louise Amkaer (Greenland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The World as I See it (Paperback)
Einstein was the mathematical genius, who formulated the relativity theory, which most of us of normal and even high intelligence don't understand. Einstein was also an extraordinary man, who lived in extraordinary times. The selection of texts in "The World as I See it" is evidence of this extraordinary man and his views on an array of subjects more in the field social and political science and mathematics written in the period between WW1 and WW2. He writes of the plight of science, academic societies and institutions, economy, pacifism, Jews and the making of a Jewish land in Palestine.

This is my first introduction to Einstein and I was touched by several elements of "The World as I See it".

Firstly, the flow and rhythm of the texts. Einstein surely had a way a words and getting them to relay his opinions clearly and precisely.

Secondly, Einstein's non-persuasive manner. He writes his opinion with sound argumentation, but he does not impose his opinions on his reader or listener.

Thirdly, I learnt new things about the famous Einstein. His letters concering his exclusion from the Prussian academic society are a good example, Einstein's deep belief in pacifism and the making of what would later be Israel.

Finally, I most say, it is very interest to read "The World as I See it" with the knowledge that Einstein wrote the texts between the 1st and 2nd World Wars. The knowledge of the world events that followed chronologically was ever present in my mind as I read, and it gave the texts an edge.

Louise

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Side of Einstein, 7 Sep 2011
Steven Unwin "Steve Unwin" (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The World as I See it (Paperback)
Known principally for his contribution to science, this book reveals the social conscience of this great thinker. The book is an eclectic collection of notes and letters on a broad range of subjects, all written in the period between the two world wars and provides insight into the views if this extraordinary man.

The subjects covered include the future of science, pacifism, economics, Jewish issues and many personal reflections on people he respected.

I was struck by the quality of the writing. Though many of the contributions are taken from notes or letters, they have the feel of being very precisely honed, displaying great writing skill. As many of the issues discussed remain relevant today this is not merely a historical artefact of Einstein's life, but also contains ideas that are well worth revisiting.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS!!!, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: The World as I See it (Paperback)

So if you want to know about Albert Einstein, the man, then I would recommend you to buy Ideas and Opinions rather than this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Wisdom For All Times, 15 April 2009
Dr. Selwyn Berg (Portugal) - See all my reviews
Thoughout the history of civilization a few great minds have left their impressions of humanity. Einstein was one of them. These essays are not dated as of the early 20th century, but for all times. They are easy to read, witty, wise and provokes much needed thought. It should be mandatory High School reading, and could change a youthful life to one for betterment of all.
Selwyn Berg; Ph.D., J.D.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting -historic- book., 9 Jun 2009
George Spiros (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The World as I See it (Paperback)
I guess it is extremely interesting to know what one of the most intelligent men think about religion, politics, life in general.

So in a sense this book is a very nice addition to any library. Politics and life however are not science and mathematics, so i guess if the same views and letters were written by any other except Einstein, this book wouldnt have the same value. His beliefs for the world after all are not so revolutianary as his science theories. More or Less he has a common sense, more or less most people would agree with his views.

This book contains a collection of thoughts, letters, and speeches Einstein gave during his life. It might not be that exciting reading obituaries for his close friends, or you might even find his beliefs on the Jews uninteresting for our modern societies. But historically speaking it is a very important book.

Reading it gives you the opportunity to pause and think about a lot of things, that have happened in the past and the way life was half a century (or more) ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Einstein the man, 9 Aug 2008
This review is from: The World as I See it (Paperback)
Here we see glimpses of Einstein the man, not the scientist. As science moved further away from the ideal that it was supposed to benefit mankind in a positive way, Einstein believed the mission of science was to work for mankind's well-being. He will be sadly missed, a great man that thought with his heart as well as his head.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very small insight into the great man, 9 Dec 2009
B. A. Howard "bradbox" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The World as I See it (Paperback)
This book is very short, and only contains letters leading up to the second World War. The letters are included without any commentary, which is good and bad - you can make your own mind up on the letters.

I came away thinking I'd like to understand more about the great man, but this book didn't help.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but no mindblower., 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: The World as I See it (Paperback)
First of all, this book is not scientific. It's a collection of speeches and letters written by Einstein covering topics such as politics, education, the middle east, World War II,... It's very interesting to read Einstein's thoughts about these topics and a good opportunity for anyone to get to know him better (even if it's just to realise he was more than just a brilliant scientist).

I'm glad I bought and read the book, but I'm also glad I didn't spend a lot of money on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 25 May 2014
This review is from: The World as I See it (Paperback)
Everyone knows Einstein, even if they don't understand his work in physics. However, the book details his thoughts on everything else. Really interesting to see what his views were.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The World as I See it
The World as I See it by Albert Einstein (Paperback - 8 Jun 2006)
6.29