Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 November 2012
I was recommended this book by my pastor as a "good read" I can only think that he was understating the value of this wonderful, challenging, inspirational,
sad,and uplifing account of the life of one of the greats of the Christian Church in Germany, and for the wider world.

I often say to friends if you don't want to be challenged, uplifted, excited and encouraged then don't read this book. I feel it's impossible to read this book without the life of this man, and his faith, having an effect on your life. Hitler robbed the world, let alone the Christian world of one of its greats when he put him to death.

It's A MUST read for any Christian who is serious about his or her faith, and how to live it out in the power of God's will for their lives. I can honestly say, it is one of the best books I have ever read, and would say to all who might read it---prepare to be challenged.

As a history book, its view point gives a fresh insight into life in Germany at that time, both from a church and state perspective.

It is also a book giving a view of the Second World War from what happened on the "other side", and tells that not all Germans were Nazi supporters, even right up to the German High Command.
I must also say that when I read of what Churchill's response was to a request for help to kill Hitler, I was ashamed at his refusal to help, and even more ashamed to be British that we abandoned them in their effort to rid their nation of this tyrant.
I should say I live in Austria so perhaps it had a special significance for me in some way, I dont know.
on 23 February 2013
Good resource to assist a fuller understanding of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's life and ministry. This Christian Martyr's whole-hearted committment to the truth can be better grasped through this reader's guide.
on 21 December 2015
THIS IS NOT AN ORIGINAL WORK BY DIETRICH BONHOEFFER, IT IS MERELY A STUDY GUIDE.

I bought this book believing it to be Bonhoeffer's Cost of Discipleship but it is only a study guide to the original. I guess that's my bad as it does clearly say in the title albeit in brackets 'Shepherd's Notes'. If the Title were something like "Notes on Bonhoeffer's Cost of Discipleship" I wouldn't have made the mistake. Ah well Live and Learn.

on 23 August 2014
Wow! This book really does bring to life the absolute essentials in helping Christians become a true follower of Christ.This book has enabled me to truly grow and mature in my Faith. If you want to learn some real truths about what it means to be a sincere follower of Jesus and to learn the only truth that there is in this world; then buy this book!
on 15 February 2013
I enjoyed this very much accompaning his Discipleship. This book would be a great help in group studies etc. With a good commentary it helps one see what Boneoffer is saying.
on 7 February 2014
This was a very helpful aide to understanding a complex Christian classic. It helped to cut through the obtuse exposition in the original book.
on 28 May 2014
Good short cut into understanding BonH. Wish I had read this some years earlier. Now a good reference book for today.
on 5 August 2014
Very useful study companion
on 11 June 2014
I have reviewed this item several weeks ago. To repeat myself again, the book arrived in very good condition and was als excellent value for money,
on 22 October 2014
This book arrived on time and it has been very good in helping me to read other texts by this author.