4.0 out of 5 stars A great step-by-step explaination of conversion
Published on 1 Sept. 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I bought this book about a year ago and I've only got round to reading it just now but once I started I couldn't put it down!

It's informative and talks from experience, so it's very easy to relate to. I'd highly recommend this book to anyoen wishing to know more about a Jewish life.
Published on 17 Jan. 2012 by Annabelle.Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars A great step-by-step explaination of conversion, 1 Sept. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Choosing a Jewish Life: A Handbook for People Converting to Judaism and for Their Family and Friends (Paperback)
Ths book dealt with a wide range of topics, trying to answer the "universal" questions of the Jew by Choice, such as how to cope with Christmas, how to tell one's parents, etc. However, by far the greatest strength of this book, and the reason I highly recomend it to anyone considering conversion, is the step-by-step explaination of what kinds of questions the rabbi will ask, what happens at the mikva, and what the bet din is like. This book got me really excited about conversion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinarily helpful., 24 Dec. 1997
By A Customer
As one who is new to the conversion process, I found this book to be extremely helpful. Not only does it describe in user-friendly terms the actual procedures involved in conversion, Ms. Dimante discusses areas involving psychological discomfort, i.e., how one's birth family might feel rejected, giving up the trappings of Christmas whether or not one believes in the concept. I read this book in two sittings, and I didn't want to put it down. I know I'll read parts of it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction for converts, 31 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This was the first book that I read to seek guidance on the essential points involved in conversion. It was a great read and will continue to stand as a point of reference for me.
I recommend this book to anyone considering conversion or as a gift for the convert's family / friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for people with religious families, 6 May 2008
Karin E. (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent guide for anyone converting, and as I don't want to repeat the other reviews here I'll get straight to the point:

This book is excellent if your family is religious and your in-laws are jewish. Yet I am from a non-religious background and one of those rare single converts (no jewish boyfriend/fiance/husband). So pretty much half of the book is completely wasted on me, because even though the advice on how to tell your family, and how to get your jewish in-laws to accept you is great, it simply doesn't apply to singles like me.

So I was a little disappointed that I wasted money on just about 50% of the book, but it is a nice introductory guide. Just not for singles with no religious upbringing. I would highly recommend "Judaism for Dummies" here, which is brilliant (except for the daft title).

5.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor: only suitable for non-orthodox, 23 Jan. 2007
david davidson (london) - See all my reviews
A somewhat 'lay' view of what religion is all about but an invaluable guide to the process all the same.

Buyers be aware, the book is only appropriate for what the author calls "liberal" (i.e. non-orthodox) Judaism. For a guide to the Orthodox process the author recommends Rabbi Maurice Lamm's "Becoming a Jew".

5.0 out of 5 stars It Speaks to Your Heart, 20 Sept. 2010
This is an absolutely amazing book. With every page I read (and I read the whole book within a day or two), I felt that Anita Diamant speaks right to your heart. In fact, she answered most of my questions so that, now, I'm really excited about conversion instead of just being nervous. I've only just begun the process. So this book has proven to be extremely helpful. It also helps potential Jews-by-choice to get a very good idea of what the implications are should they decide to convert. There are a number of things people should be aware of. This book helped me in finding out whether or not conversion is the right thing for me to do.

After reading this book, I felt very well prepared for the road ahead. It also doesn't make you feel as if you were alone out there. For me, this one is among the most helpful and most lovingly written books for Jews-by-choice and indeed people who would simply like to learn about Judaism.

Finally, anyone wanting to convert under Orthodox auspices should be aware that this book focuses on Reform/ Liberal Judaism.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 Jan. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars informative, easy to understand, 14 Aug. 2012
A very insightful book, gives easy to follow information - albeit american orientated, given me a sense of exitement for my upcoming conversion, highly recommended as a first book on the subject

5.0 out of 5 stars a good guide, 20 Nov. 2011
H. Taubman "hannah" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I wanted to know, what it is like to be a jew. The books title promised an answar to all I wanted to know.
I found it to be a good guide to jewish life and it left me, wanting to know more

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for anyone considering conversion to Judasim, or anyone in an interfaith relationship., 28 April 2013
This book was packed full of information, all you need to know about Judasim and its customs. The book was also a great help. It answered all my questions, so would recommend it.