5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!
Published on 23 Aug 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly Foolproof
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by Pyewacket

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, 23 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book about two months ago, and decided to wait on giving it a review, to see if the ideas in the book would work for me over time. I had lived in extreme clutter my whole life -- with paper, books, clean clothes, dirty clothes, old pizza boxes, empty soda cans, you name it -- all over the floor, all over the tables, all over the furniture, all the time. It was so messy that I was embarrassed to invite anyone over for quite some time, and I was convinced it was impossible for me to clean everything up, let alone prevent myself from creating further clutter.
But after reading this book, I got the motivation to get organized, and (finally) learned how to get organized in a way that works for me. And two months later, I'm still organized! I don't have to take time to clean up my messes because I simply don't create them anymore. I have more space now than I know what to do with. And I really don't do things much differently than I used to -- that's the most surprising part of all.
I recommend this book about as highly as I've ever recommended anything. It may sound cliche, but if it can work for me, trust me, it can work for ANYONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 1 Feb 2004
Melanie (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely AMAZING!
It provides helpful information on how to organize from the inside out, that is, organizing a system that is uniqely yours, and will therefore work for you.
It provides helpful tips on organizing your room, your time, social life, extra-crriculars, and a very handy guide to purchasing the perfect planner.
Once you start reading it, you cant put it down. I would recommend it to anyone under the age of 21 (if at school or university) who struggles to organzine any aspect of their life.

For anyone older, or anyone who isnt in full time education, i would recommend Morgenstens first book, 'Organizing your life from the inside out' which deals with more adult organisation problems, that you will find more relevant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe progress at last, but not convinced...yet!, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Organizing from the Inside Out: The Foolproof System for Organizing Your Home, Your Office and Your Life (Paperback)
Despite being convinced that the limitless range of books promising an organised future for poor hapless creatures like myself, is proof that they, like diet books, do not work (because,if they did work,there would not be an inexhaustible market for so many of them) the encouraging aspect of this one is that Julie Morgenstern distinguishes between organisation and tidiness, emphasising that the goal is to devise a system to meet our needs, rather than try to shoehorn the reader into adopting a one size fits all method.
She also shows an understanding of people who, like me, have a natural flair for creating chaos out of order every time! What also caught my attention was her observation that clutter keeping and accumulation usurps our time and leaves us less time to do other more interesting things.

I'll never be a Michael Landy and destroy all that I possess in one swoop, but I have recycled and made trips to the Charity shop since I started reading; the only difficulty is that I have spotted some bargains in the said charity shop and may need to apply formally for a Restraining Order on my own behalf!

The main psychological difficulty I have though,is the delusion that all the changes I have been visualising while reading the book, will have automatically taken place without any intrusion from me, as soon as I finish the last page. It's well worth a read and does give insight into the different reasons we accumulate clutter.

Personally, I blame the Antiques Roadshow for enticing (maybe even "inciting") us to believe that the value of a hideous vase or some worrying and potentially illegal looking object, may allow us to give up the day job...and stay at home cleaning and organising all day long?

5.0 out of 5 stars Tired of being called a slob or pack-rat?, 25 July 1999
By A Customer
Like anyone who has ever suffered from any form of a human deficiency, it is much easier to take counsel from a convert rather than from someone who has always done things "perfectly" (even though I love Martha Stewart too...) That is why this book has given me the inspiration to begin to attack my clutter. Before plunging into helpful ideas on HOW to get yourself organized, the first half of the book is dedicated to WHY you aren't already organized. Finally, I was able to understand why I couldn't (until now) keep a clean house. It's been a godsend...thank you Ms. Morgenstern!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great organising book, 26 Aug 2010
Suebecca (Essex England) - See all my reviews
I would highly recommend this book for organising your home and life. It has the refreshing view that it is not all about throwing things away to create more space but the writer has a more methodical approach to organising by way of themes and knowing that there is a place for everything and everything in its place. The ideas in the book are on reflection common sense but it made me approach the task of organising in a different way. It is divided into sections for rooms of the house plus office and even down to your handbag! Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly Foolproof, 29 Jun 2011
I'm sure if you are the kind of person who can implement a system of organization and stick to it, this is one way of doing it and maybe a good one. Despite reading many books, employing declutterers (! not sure how to spell that)and doing everything short of appearing on a TV programme I remain chronically disorganized. I can't even organize my collection of books about getting organized. For me this book did not include any new techniques or methods or insights that were useful. However, if you are new to the concept or organizing then it is accessible and reasonably written and may be of use. If you are a recidivist like me though, this is probably not the Foolproof System you are looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique and inspiring approach!, 3 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This is a fantastic book! I highly suggest it to anyone - whether you need a complete overhaul on your life, or just want to organize your sock drawer. All of my life, I have been perpetually late, disheveled, and disorganized, and have hated it. This book has literally changed my life. If you're just looking for a book that tells you how often to mop your floors or change your furnace filters, this book is not for you. It examined underlying issues that caused my disorganization - isues that I never realized I had - then provided me with a detailed, step by step program to work with myself instead of against myself to create an organized, comfortable home. Truly a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned as much about who I am as I did about organizing., 20 Jan 1999
By A Customer
A wonderful book. Unique in style and approach. I learned as much about myself as I did about getting organized. Most books on this subject give you lists, projects, ideas and plans. This one makes you think. And the best part of all, it lets you feel ok about who you really are then helps you find the path to make things work for you. I found it liberating. For the first time in my life I found someone who is wise, and kind and has a workable answer for the clutter. I saw myself in many of the evauations presented. Plus a workable plan that I can live with. I am an artist, crafts woman and clutter bug. Thank you Julie for caring about who is inside. You nailed me when you said: "Do you collect huge amounts of supplies?" I sure do. Now I know how to live with it in harmony.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive guide to organizing your lifestyle, 5 Oct 1998
By A Customer
Organizing from the Inside Out provides quick solutions for organizing, with the promise that there is a method which works every time, no matter how formidable the task. Julie Morgenstern assures us that no perfect system exists, but that we should commit to using our system of choice for several months, then reevaluate its effectiveness.
Real-life examples of organizing dilemmas from clients are discussed, with a few personal ones thrown in for good measure. I especially liked the analogy of yoyo organizing to that of yoyo dieting: too many people backslide after giving up on themselves. How true!
The philosophy of being organized from the inside out, rather than the outside in, is such a wonderful description of how we can change our lifestyle. While reading, I felt as if I had my own personal lifestyles coach alongside me, encouraging and motivating me all the way. This is a great primer for anyone considering getting started on their organizing quest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 April 2005
S Simons "SSimons" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This book is terrific. I initially thought this book contained quite a bit of padding, but I decided to cut straight to the chase and so used its ideas to organise my desk area. Now I wish I'd had it years ago. Before buying this book my wife and I were thinking of having our loft or garage converted into living space as we had run out of room in our home. This book has convinced us that we don't need to, saving thousnads and thousands of pounds for us. If this sounds too good to be true, read some of the other reviews.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›