5.0 out of 5 stars I've been looking for a book like this for a long time.
Published on 8 Aug. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless
I found this to be useless, and a complete waste of time and money. I only read about halfway through the book before I set it aside, and never could bring myself to return to it.

Published on 3 Aug. 2006 by xenofan

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been looking for a book like this for a long time., 8 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
This book helps me in dealing with the fears that have prevented me from writing. Keyes does not deal with "writer's block" in a detached, academic manner. He reminds the reader of the definition of courage and offers myriad examples of writers who have forced themselves to write even if it hurts. He offers no exercises or "quick fix" advice. The book inspires and warns. The ideas he presents may not be original, but his presentation is; the author's choices helped me realize that I'll never find a magic pill to help me write without discomfort. I have to roll up my sleeves, dig in and learn to enjoy how it feels. If you've already experienced such a revelation, the book's not for you. But if you're teetering between giving up and diving in, give the book a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it ;), 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear (Paperback)
This is a great book on writing and life as a writer. It is encouraging, yet very honest. If you dream about becoming a writer or if you are interested in reading about the lives and techniques of writers, you should get it right away. I can most definitely recommend it ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a MUST for aspiring writers!, 9 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
This is just the book this aspiring writer needed to revolutionize the way I think about writing. I'm not alone in my fears and silly writing habits! If you think you might like to write but you're not sure how, why or whether, read this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 3 Aug. 2006
xenofan "xenofan" (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Writing, the book seems to go into great lengths to tell us, is something that brings great anxiety and fear to all of us whom want to write. You are not a writer, the message seems to be, unless you come to your keyboard, or pen, trembling with anxiety and fear.

The only thing this book did for me was to make me wonder "Why on earth would I WANT to even bother?" To subject myself to an art which I must conduct in a state of terror, in order to consider myself any good.

I didn't find this book very helpful at all. Most writing books I've read at least leave me enthusiastic to put what I've read into practice, feeling a little more assured of myself. This book didn't do much, except perhaps bore me so much that I was driven back to my keyboard to write again.

Maybe I am just not the type of writer that this book is aimed at. When I brought this book, I kept running into bouts of writer's block and would find myself getting quite anxious about my writing, and I hoped that this book would help me consider the cause (and help suggest solutions) to them. But in fact, this book just didn't seem to do anything for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book,, 26 Nov. 2013
It came way before scheduled time, cool! And it's a nice classy edition, I like the cover paper quality - all in all very happy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 3 May 1999
By A Customer
This is a nice little book that covers several topics that most aspiring writers can relate to. If you've got fears about writing or publishing, you might appreciate this book.

The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear
The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear by Ralph Keyes (Paperback - Oct. 2003)