1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A Journey that Many Bookworms Can Share, 11 Aug 2008
Even though I am a few years younger than Mr. Spufford, he and I started reading at just about the same time. His rendition of the discovery of the magic of words on a page is the best I have ever read, and the first that directly connects with my own experience. Even all these many years later, I still remember how amazing it was when those strange marks on paper came together to form... a STORY. Spufford's description of this journey is lyrical, magical and such that I wish to put most of his first chapter in my favorite quotes page.

From here, he goes into the books that shaped his reading habits as an adult: C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Ursula Le Guin, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and many others. His frustration at being "in between" children's books and adult fiction is palpable, and his discovery of, um, one-handed reading for adult men, is hilarious.

There is a lot of academic discussion here, and some very in-depth analysis of the stories that shaped Spufford's reading experiences. Some of those portions can be very dry, but I still give this five stars because the rest of it, the best of it, when Spufford discusses his own reading experiences, is pure magic.

The Child That Books Built: A Life in Reading
The Child That Books Built: A Life in Reading by Francis Spufford (Hardcover - Oct 2002)
Used & New from: 0.14