‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd found this book ages ago!, 23 Nov 2001
Self-help junkie (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Funny how certain books seem to have been written just for ME! THis is one of them. Trained as a psychodynamic counsellor, I have been struggling for a long time with issues of 'how to be' in the room with clients. The psychoanalytic 'blank screen' just isn't me - yet I feel that I'm betraying my training if I am warm and present.Kahn brilliantly identifies and expands this dilemma and by introducing the work of Kohut provides an elegant and freeing way forward. I cannot recommend this book too highly and will be giving it to lots of friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book for anyone learning the art of psychotherapy, 13 Dec 1998
By A Customer
As a graduate student newly entering the world of psychotherapy from a professional standpoint, I found Michael Kahn's book a real reading treasure. His explanations of issues such as transference (and countertransference), and the way in which these phenomena have been viewed over time, was interesting to read and valuable learning for any therapist-to-be. He does a beautiful job of taking theoretical information and explaining it in such a way that it can be understood and utilized immediately with clients. Also, Michael brings a personal touch to his book which I found increases it's worth even further. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in learning about psychotherapy, particularly self-psychology; and I sincerely hope he decides to write more in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and informative read., 1 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Between Therapist & Client: The New Relationship (Paperback)
I have always tried to work in an eclectic way but have sometimes been unsure if this is the right thing to do as counselling is sometimes boxed. After reading this book it confirmed to me that what we need to do is work in a way that is beneficial to both counsellor and client, enabling a good counselling relationship to establish. It shows ways of working specifically in certain areas or of breaking down the boxes, letting true counselling occur. I found it easy to read and would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to the therapeutic relationship, 25 Nov 2009
A good exploration of the dynamics of the therapeutic relationship, explained simply but introducing profound issues about getting the right balance between counsellors/psychotherapists and clients i.e. what are appropriate boundaries and what purposes do they serve. Khan moves from the medical/mechanistic style to one focused on the relationship between therapist and client as a main agent of change. Worth reading by novice and expert alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compulsory read yet enjoyable at the same time., 6 Aug 2001
I am reading and greatly enjoying this book - "Between Therapist & Client" by Michael Kahn, Revised Edition, 5th 2001. A must read for everyone, therapist and trainees alike. Its contemporary style is worth a read even from the most experienced of therapists & trainers so they are aware of changes. It's about the realness of this relationship, crisp, honestly (congruently) and in the simplest frame of reference for easy understanding. It's like baring the new age therapy relation between the client & therapist, the interpersonal skills involved in genuine terms.
06/08/01. It's simplicity has enabled me identify and gather much insight, demonstrating excellent use of language in the therapeutic process for effectiveness. Its illustration of interpersonal skills is something I would love to incorporate into my client contact work. This is just the next best book after C. Rogers "On Becoming a Person", so easily readable. I have even picked up from its use of language and appropriate reflection, how to give a good evaluation of my practice; what to look at; what to include and how to pay attention to feelings - of both self as therapist & clients - being aware of these, so an understanding could be as accurate as possible to enhance this therapeutic relationship. Pardon me, but I am just in love with this book. Its illustration of counter-transference & empathy is an experience, is an eye opener; the reality of its existence in all relationship, only difference being how soon it is detected to be advantageous to the therapy, by being gently vigilant - p.139 - 144. Its illustration of attentive listening & the advantages of it in the process are phenomenal.
I have learnt so much from this book believe me I cannot begin to do enough justice to it than just recommend it as compulsory reading yet enjoyable. I even stumbled across my recent concerns about clients asking questions - how to handle this. You can just imagine my excitement when it was all there P.148 - 150, with examples to demonstrate and make it easier to understand.
I felt I was bad at giving a review, but this sounds so much like a review of a whole book, I think it would pass as a brief review, don't you? I will refer to it when next I have a literature review, because reviews gave me such tough times last year. I certainly believe now that "what comes to you naturally is the best way to learn & retain vital information", the spontaneity of it makes it even more real; it flows well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The power of relationships, 12 Jun 2010
This really is essential reading for counsellors and therapists. It puts the therapeutic relationship under the microscope and beautifully merges humanistic with psychodynamic thinking. Kahn has a lovely 'voice' and he sets out at a gentle pace, without the need for jargon and Cleverer Than Thou word-ology!

The book traces the importance of building the client relationship in the work of Freud, Rogers, Gill and Kohut. Kahn shows how he integrates each of their contributions in his own client work. I don't think I could ever read any Gill or Kohut, but now I feel they may be more approachable. Person centred counsellors will benefit from gaining a psychodynamic perspective on what is going on in the relationship (transference), and how they are being affected by the client (countertransference). This is where the work gets done, "because the relationship is the therapy".

What I especially liked was the way Kahn revealed some of his own mistakes in working with clients, and how he dealt with them.
This is a book to absorb and practice. Invest in yourself and read it again and again...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, insightful reading journey, 4 Oct 2011
I was engaged in this book from beginning to end. It is educational, interesting and insightful in its depiction of the issues between therapist and client. It is a must read for patients or clients interested in understanding the mechanics of the therapy process in more detail. Enjoyable reading too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Between Therapist and Client, 16 Jun 2009
S. J. Johnson "Sue J" (UK Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
Although my core theory is psychodynamic and Michael Kahn is person centred, I found his book to be very interesting; I enjoyed that fact that he is so down to earth and accessable, he speaks of counsellors/therapists, 'warts and all' his writing is insightful and a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those training to be Integrative Counsellor, 11 April 2007
C. Griffiths (Hereford UK) - See all my reviews
I was told that if I didn't buy another book this year that I should try this one, particularly for the section specifically relating to integrative counselling; it's really good. So don't hesitate you won't waste your money and the price is right.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 13 Sep 2004
By A Customer
By far the best book on the therapist-client relationship that I have read so far. Informative, inspirational and full of heart.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Between Therapist & Client: The New Relationship
Between Therapist & Client: The New Relationship by Michael Kahn (Paperback - 1 Sep 1997)
15.99