4.0 out of 5 stars Great reading experience
I thought this book was a fast and interesting read. Its theory on fairies and fallen angels, is a different approch of most common related publishings. I found this book informative and interesting, but one must take these related subjects with a grain of salt, for many foklore has many contradictions, for they are mearly entertaining and historical.
Published on 12 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Introductory course for a beginner.
Published on 15 Sep 2004 by Semihazah

3.0 out of 5 stars Introductory course for a beginner., 15 Sep 2004
This review is from: A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits (Paperback)
This is fairly average book. It is very informative yet consisted of little details. The list of supernatural being is also restrictive to a selected few, the author like to focus on more popular ones. Which exposed the flaw, as the beings that get mention are well known, I thought that it would provide me with some additional information which I don't know. However, that is not the case at all, after finishing the book I really felt that I knew about the subject more than the author does.
This book is NOT for a fervent student of demonology. It content is only at beginner level. Provide some interesting read for people who has just began their interest in the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reading experience, 12 July 1999
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and devilish amusing, 8 Nov 2002
Normann Aaboe Nielsen (Odder Denmark) - See all my reviews
I really like the book! Not all demons (God forbid!) are mentioned here, but the few that are demonstrates that we should be thankfull that we live at all... Just mentioning a few: "The Kappa, a life-sucking amphibian..." "Kumbhakarna, the glutttonous Rakshasa brother of Ravana..." and so on! Brrrr!!
The authors know their stuff and although it is only presented in brief terms it is done very well. Use the book as a first-trip field guide (like a map you get for free in an airport). If you want to know more, at least you know the consequences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, 23 Oct 2008
Ursula K. Raphael "AstraDaemon of The Zombiep... (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
You could spend lots of money on all kinds of folklore & mythology books, and still not have as much information on the "darker entities" as this book. Each entry is very detailed with description, habitations, sightings, etc.

I think this book would make a great gift for anyone interested in the supernatural, or even RPG GM's looking for new creatures to torture their players.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 19 Feb 2013
was interesting to read about the mythology of other cultures and a unique spin on what a demon is. was a great help in my research for my stories. recommended to anyone. thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book fun to read, 6 Feb 2012
This book is really fun to read.
If demons and paranormal creatures are your thing this is your book.
I would recommend this book to people that are interested in this sort off stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lore, 18 Aug 2011
I love the fact it includes both a description of the spirit and the lore behind it- if not all of the lore, the most definitive, which frankly makes sense considering how much lore there is in various cultures referring to just one creature. If you've only a passing interest in spirits as an academic, the lore will help you with original spooky stories come Halloween. Come to think of it, so will the descriptions.........

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice guide, 28 Sep 2009
Umberto Marangoni "Umberto Marangoni" (Milano, Italy) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be quite nice. The descriptions are generally accurate in regard to traditional beliefs, but the style is friendly and not boring.

1.0 out of 5 stars completly Rubbish, 2 Nov 2009
S. Mckenzie "Mr. Mckenzie" (England) - See all my reviews
I am doing a research on Angels and Demons. When I saw this book and its title, I beleived that it could help to give me some answers. After reading it I can only conclude that the Authors do not have much knowledge on the subjects they wrote about. I am seriously thinking of returning the book and demand a refund of my money.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was all I ever need to know., 3 Jun 1999
By A Customer
It was imformative, yet held no information on the summoning of demons and other mystical spirits.

ARRAY(0xa2f31aec)