5.0 out of 5 stars Your kids will love it - you might end up hating it!
Published on 22 Sep 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, poor condition
The story itself is lovely and the illustrations good. However, this was a second hand copy and although it was listed as 'very good condition', the outside was quite worn and knocked on the corners.
Published 17 months ago by heather

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Your kids will love it - you might end up hating it!, 22 Sep 2001
By A Customer
Apparently this book is good for the older child, but our sons are 24 months and 11 months and they both adore it. Reliably, this is the one they will pick up time and time again, and bring it to their long-suffering parents who will then through gritted teeth agree to read it out, making all the appropriate noises (how do you bellow like a walrus or flute like a flamingo, anyway?) until hoarse. The repetition is what it's all about, really. The illustrations are fine though stylised. I do wish that the "boa constrictor" was a generic "snake" as I suspect my children will now grow up thinking all snakes are boa constrictors.
I have given this book 5 stars because that is what it would get from the children. I have to admit that unlike the Dr Seuss books, which I never tire of reading again and again, I do get heartily sick of the sight of this one. Having said that, it is not full of all-white or all-male characters (by which I mean animals which are 'he') in the manner of so many children's books.
Your children will love it. You have been warned...

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a favorite in my home childcare!, 11 April 2000
By A Customer
We sing the lines to this wonderful book. We make the sounds of the animals, and although we have read the book so many times the pages are worn, the kids do not mind. I have just as much fun as they do reading this wonderful book that teaches colors, names of animals, and more!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for toddlers, 2 Jan 2008
We got the board book version of this book out of the library for our nearly two year old, and she loves it! The illustrations are fun and colourful, and the story is simple with easy rhymes and repetition. A perfect book to read aloud at the end of the day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely introduction to animals and their sounds, 20 July 2009
V. PASCHALL (English living in France) - See all my reviews
My daughter adored this book, especially as she loves anything to do with animals. I bought a second copy for her class at the local school in France as they are just starting to learn english. It is very popular and holds their attention. Worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 Feb 2009
Mrs. S. J. Turner (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
If you like Brown Bear Brown Bear, what do you see? then you will love this one just as much.

My boy is 2.5yrs old and has enjoyed the brown bear book for a little over a year now. Having the same familiar prose has made this one a firm favorite too. Great for learning new animals and teaching the sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Love Brown Bear version, this is just as brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice toddler book, 10 Jun 2014
Lovely book, my 2 year old girl loves it. We also have 'Brown Bear, Brown bear what do you see?' which I prefer because it is much simpler & teaches the colours aswell. In this book a snake is called a boa constrictor - hardly a name that a 2 year kid needs to know! Also it is difficult to make all the sounds effects but overall a good book with repetitive language. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars signing, 14 April 2014
A good book to use with STC signing. The children love it and can join in with it all together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant to interact with your child love the book, 14 Mar 2014
My little boy loves this book bought him soft toys to match animal pictures gets so excited, going to get brown bear book for him

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality book,popular with the children., 8 Jan 2014
I wasn't sure about ordering a board book (it was a present for my nephew) but when they arrived (I brought 'The very quiet cricket' at the same time) I was impressed.
I was familiar with both these stories.
I work with preschool children and they love guessing which animal will appear next.
Eric Carle uses those lovely onomatopoeic words describing the noises of the animals and birds, introducing new vocabulary. Just as enjoyable for the adult to read expressively.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Polar Bear
Polar Bear by Eric Carle (Board book - 10 Sep 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01