5.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Loss, 16 July 2008
Gill (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worst Loss: How Families Heal from the Death of a Child (Paperback)
The Worst Loss: How Families Heal from the Death of a Child
I lost my only child, my twenty-two year old son, two and a half years ago from a mystery illness. I have read numerous books about dying, the afterlife and bereavment. One of the hardest aspects of losing my child has been the attitude and expectation of others. No one, unless a bereaved parent themselves, can understand the magnitude of such a loss and how it is a loss from which one can never recover. In the end we have to learn to live with the gap in our lives and somehow find a way through.
I found this book, lent to me by a friend, a huge comfort to me, especially now that, in the third year, I find at times I feel as traumatised and hopeless as I did in the first year. The reality and finality is only now beginning to register. And at a time when most people think we should be "getting over it". Being able to identify with parent's comments in this book has reassured me that I am not alone in the feelings I am experiencing at this time. I am not sure it would be right for every parent in the first months of their loss but I wish I found this book earlier in my search. I think every adult should read it - then bereaved parents might be spared some of the awful platitudes and judgement of others.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book to help you cope with the death of your child., 7 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book right after my daughter was killed in an auto accident. It helped me to understand the feelings I was experiencing. It also helped me deal with physical signs of grief as well as the mental stresses. I would recommend this book be read during the first 6 mths. after the death of a child because it deals greatly with the things that will occur in that first year of grieving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've encountered on the loss of a child, 1 Jan 1998
By A Customer
As a bereaved parent I have read dozens of books on the subject over the past ten years. This is the best all-around book I have found! The effects of losing a child on a mother, a father, siblings, the marriage relationship, etc. are covered concisely with great sensitivity and insight from the author's broad experience working with bereaved families. It is a book that can be read immediately following the death and then periodically as one moves through the long and excruciating grief process.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deeply Thoughtful Work, 28 May 1998
By A Customer
The Worst Loss is written in clear language. It uses the words & stories of real people in many different situations, who share this loss. It helps give better parameters about the grieving & mourning that happens around this loss. I read it first just for myself, to better know what is going on with dear friends who have lost a child. I recommend it to anyone who wants to understand, or who must survive, the loss of a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars honest, harsh--at times, realistic and overwhelming, 23 April 1997
By A Customer
I work with pediatric oncology patients and their families and came across this book. I have recommended it to many many people,parents who have lost children as well as professionals. The overwhelming response is positive, that this is possibly one of the best books on the subject. However, this is not a book to give a newly bereaved parent/family. Some of the book can be too realistic at first. From the perspective of someone who works with bereaved parents and siblings this book is an excellent guide!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very reassuring and helpful book, 5 Aug 2012
From reading the first few chapters I could tell this book was good as it described so much of what we are feeling now. I knew I could trust the advice to come later on. Clear, realistic - often hard-nosed - and helpful. I shall return to it in the months to come. Don't try to read this book too early - we started it about the 13th week after our beloved daughter's death.

Worst Loss: How Families Heal from the Death of a Child
Worst Loss: How Families Heal from the Death of a Child by Barbara D Rosof (Paperback - 1 Oct 1995)
10.72