4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive - but clunky
Well, it certainly covers a lot of ground. This book covers *almost* every involved in creating characters, but omits some of the most basic things, like naming them (something which I, as a writer, find very difficult). The book also feels rather longer than it is, and could probably have been shortened by 10-15% with no effect other than becoming easier to read...
Published on 20 May 2006 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but plods in places - 10 page distillation required!
The approach that this book takes is to present an idea eg "The Inner Backstory Defines Character". There's an all-too brief discussion, then possibly some reports of what Freud, Jung, and/or some other lesser-known writers might have said to support the idea, and then we're into the case studies.
I have to admit that this approach is not really my cup of...
Published on 27 Feb 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but plods in places - 10 page distillation required!, 27 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Creating Unforgettable Characters: Practical Guide to Character Development in Films, TV Series, Advertisements, Novels and Short Stories (Paperback)
I have to admit that this approach is not really my cup of tea. I want to get to the meat that the author has to offer, and avoid the flabby case-study filler. Perhaps if it was written in a more engaging way, I might feel differently, but as it is, I'm tempted to skip long tracts looking for the useful bits. At least the summaries at the end of each chapter help in this - I quickly concluded that the book would be more useful as a set of reference cards pasted up from the introduction to each idea, and these summary pages.
I'm currently reading "Characters and Viewpoint" by Orson Scott Card, and thinking comparatively about the two books is what prompted me to write this review. I'm finding Card's approach to be far more engaging and usable. Even his section headings are directly informative, as opposed to the simple descriptions used in Seger's book.
In short: check the Card book out before making a decision on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive - but clunky, 20 May 2006

If you have the patience, this is certainly worth it. But you'll get no help with getting the beginnings of your characters, just the bits that round them off.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect System for Creating Characters, 10 July 2014
Linda covers ALL the macro and micro aspects of character development. After reading this book I was able to formulate a very comprehensive checklist with which to rapidly create a whole cast of characters. I also found the checklist suitable for coaching, factual writing and drafting a documentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 2nd most valuable guide in my collection!, 20 Dec 1998
By A Customer
As an aspiring writer, I have quite a collection of reference material, and outside of my Thesaurus, this is the most important book I have. Ms Seger gives a fantastic guide to character development, which in my mind is key to great writing. No one will care about the plot if they don't care about the characters, and following this book, the audience will care about the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 27 July 2013
I have been learn it and how to character development and it was give me lots for example through writer, film and research

5.0 out of 5 stars Characterization is the most important element in a script., 24 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Linda Seger gives screenwriters the tools to write vivid, well developed characters with this book. I recommend it to all my screenwriting students! Marisa D'Vari, author, Script Magic.