5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and beautifully-illustrated children's book
Published on 26 Jun 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars Hhhhnmmm
The Anansi story is a good one in history, but i was soo disappointed in this book. I had to readjust my jaw to read it as it seems to have been translated to English in a really poor fashion, a big no no NO! for me and my lil one.
Published on 17 April 2009 by Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and beautifully-illustrated children's book, 26 Jun 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti (Hardcover)
My knowledge of things African was limited as a child, so I have made a particular effort to expose my daughter to this part of the world. As I have done this, I have discovered that the themes which have made Western children's stories popular through the centuries are also present in African folk tales. This fact is further confirmed by this book. It is a tale of a family of spider children who work together to get their father out of a jam. Not only is the story entertaining and full of lessons, but the illustrations are gorgeous. They are as one would imagine an African child must dream: vivid colors and broad strokes which my three-year-old even thought were particularly "pretty." I highly recommend this book as an addition to any three-eight-year-old's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A children's book to remember., 24 July 1997
By A Customer
It's been about thriteen years since I was
introduced to this story thanks to the Seattle Public School system, and I remembered it well enough to go hunting for it in late 1995. I still adore this book, and I do believe that it is the only book from my childhood that I've bothered to find again.

Wonderful artwork with great expressions from the arachnid protagonist. Even the silhouettes are compelling, though simple. I nearly felt sorry for Anansi until I remembered that he's a trickster figure.

I don't like spiders, but I adore Anansi and his sons. I think you will, too. (Especially Cushion. He's so cute!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the moon is in the sky!, 16 May 1999
By A Customer
A short children's book based on a folk tale of the Ashanti tribe of Ghana about the tickster Spider who is rescued by his sons and why the moon is in the sky. Children will enjoy hearing this story and even acting out its parts. The artwork is very appealling. The book was a 1973 Caldecott Honor book (i.e., a runner-up to the Medal winner) for best illustration in a book for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 2 April 2013
Excellent quality book. Very good story to read and the illustrations are amazing. Very vibrant colours want to make you read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anansi the Spider, 16 Jan 2013
This is a lovely book. I was very pleased as it arrived in good time.I would like to recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Anansi the spider, 2 Jun 2012
This is a really good quality book, and a great introduction to fantastic story. Suitable for children of any age

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 22 Oct 2014
Great little book. Interesting illustrations. Good introduction to stories from other cultures. A teacher could very easily use this book as a base for a west African project.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW this is a winner in our house!, 30 May 2009
Miss M. R. Jones (Ilkley UK) - See all my reviews
Like Anansi himself we too have been gifted with 6 children
So loved and oft told is this story that our three year old has re named each of his brothers and sister one of Anansi's sons names. A lovely lovely book to treasure. You will not be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Nov 2014
Children love the ilustrations. Excellent buy

5.0 out of 5 stars African culture emphasizes., 22 Nov 1998
By A Customer
An interesting tale that should be told by an African man or woman dressed in a garment using the patterns seen in the illustrations. What great fun for all who participate.

Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti
Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti by McDermott (Hardcover - Jan 1972)