Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 September 2013
Each garment in this book is labelled with a letter of the alphabet and given a full page colour photograph worn by a slim model. Unusually for Japanese pattern books the sizes are from a UK 6 to 16. The styles are generally loose fitting, only one dress has a zip, a few have buttons, the rest slip over the head. I like that the styles are adaptable and would give a completely different look using alternative materials. The instructions on how to make all the dresses and tops are covered thoroughly in the second half of the book. They are easy to follow with both step by step written instructions and diagrams. I have made dress A which is very quick and easy to make. It is a roomy sun dress which was perfect for the hot weather we had for a few days. Please note that patterns will have to be traced off from the pattern sheets provided as the different pattern piece lines cross over each other. I think this book is an absolute bargain. I have paid more than the price of this book for a single pattern.
on 20 February 2015
Gorgeous book with lots of attractive designs. I tend to buy clothes from White Stuff / Seasalt / Fat Face and the designs in here are mostly things that would not look out of place in those sort of shops. I am totally new to sewing clothes and have just made my first ever item of clothing from one of these patterns. It was pretty easy to follow even for a complete beginner like me. A few things to note: the patterns are printed on both sides of three printed sheets, so don't panic if you think you are missing some! Also, you'll need to buy some pattern paper for tracing the patterns on to. Finally, the size range is only your standard high-street sizes, so if you are bigger than a 16 this might not be the book for you.
on 10 February 2013
I got this book because of the patterns with it. I have made three already and they have turned out great. I was looking to buy a tunic pattern but there was no need when I got this book. I like the simple styles in the book. I have raved about this book on burda thats where I have my three tunics I have made from this book. The last time i did that about a book it shot up in price. I go this book for £10. It was well worth the money because one pattern can cost about that with P&P. I have just returned back to sewing so I can sew and I know my way around a pattern so its difficult to say for beginners, but there is simple as well as more advanced. Hope this helps.
on 5 August 2013
Looking at the photos of tiny models in this book I had little hope that the clothes would make up to my size, so my first attempt found me adding a generous seam allowance to the largest size. No need. I ended up having to adjust it back. I am a busty size 18. It seems the patterns are all styled on the loose size anyway. I have made 3 items now from this book and another in the series. Will definitely be buying the next the be translated to English.
on 30 September 2012
I love this book, in the process of completing pattern d and love how it looks so far. This book is excellent value for money there are 26 full patterns! The book is beautiful to look through and I can see this book being my go to book for patterns now I just wish they would hurry up with translating book 2 and 3 into English
on 17 November 2014
Excellent book, beautifully simple garments. The instructions may be a bit minimal for a complete beginner, but I've been sewing six months and made the 'Q' top in no time this weekend. Stop reading the reviews and buy it!!!

P.S. Noticed one reviewer complaining about sizing. I'm a size 14, cut out the top as size 16 worrying about the 14 being too small, BUT forgot to add seam allowance! Once made up if anything it's a little on the large size!
on 25 February 2014
I have quite a number of japanese sewing books already, in Japanese, French and English. This is the first one I have come across that has sized up for the larger european frame, which will save some time (though not all) in pattern alterations. There are more wearable patterns in this than in any of my other books. My only issue is that I seem to find some of the drawings with instruction in English harder to understand than in the Japanese - weird!!
on 12 April 2013
ok ok i am now addicted to these books and have started a collection.......but they are simply beautiful designs and although i havnt done any sewing for years i dont think they are that difficult to follow. i did invest in a couple of basic sewing books to supplement my knowledge and also used youtube for zip insertion help but apart from that they have all the instructions you will need. the sizing is a bit on the small size so make sure you take your current measurements and compare with the finished measurements given. i trace onto cheap baking paper make sure you label all the pieces because some pieces are needed for more than one item.
i took the book out in a store to check how much fabric to purchase and several ladies were very interested in the designs. i think they are good value as you can make so many pieces from the one book and the style is very very different.
on 18 April 2016
So glad I bought this lovely book!!! I have been sewing for years and wanted to sew some clothing in the japanese style.
I would say this book is not suitable for beginners or sewists who haven't used patterns before.
If you have a good working knowledge of using patterns and aren't intimidated by tracing the outline from the patterns provided (and importantly- adding your own seam allowance as this isn't included in the measurements!) then this is the book for you! There is a really good selection for the price of the book and even though the designs are simple, this is what attracted me in the first place! You can add your own fabric choices and make a really nice selection of tops and dresses with this book! The paper patterns are folded into a neat envelope on the back cover and each pattern is marked over another in different colours so you can focus on the particular one you need and use pattern tracing paper (available separately) to trace the markings you need. This could be intimidating as visually it is quite crowded but as long as you focus on the coloured outline you need, it's fine.
The 'instructions' are very basic. This is where you need basic knowledge I would say. There are a few basic steps written with a few simple diagrams. If you need detailed information on exactly how to do seams etc then you will need either another basic skills book or to already have such knowledge. Having said that, the instructions you are given are quite straightforward.
The models are all slim and petite, so bear this in mind. The designs are all quite roomy so I feel this isn't a problem.
Each pattern in the book has a beautiful clear photograph and a corresponding 'letter' to make it easy to find the right pattern.
I think this book is really lovely and will certainly buy more!! UPDATE - Don't panic if you can't find the pattern bits, they really are spread all over the 6 different sides.I was convinced one was missing but then found it :-) A lovely book!
on 20 September 2013
The boo
It is exactly as I thought it would be. The only other investment to make is time and a large roll of tracing paper to take the patterns to their useable state. Very good illustrations and good quality printing.
Would have liked a larger size range but having said that the patterns look easy to upsize.
Would recommend.