5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort Couture size 6 to 16

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but an incomplete set of patterns
Published 10 months ago by Yvonne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort Couture size 6 to 16, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Stylish Dress Book: Wear with Freedom [With Pattern(s)] (Paperback)
Each garment in this book is labelled with a letter of the alphabet and given a full page colour photograph worn by a slim model. Unusually for Japanese pattern books the sizes are from a UK 6 to 16. The styles are generally loose fitting, only one dress has a zip, a few have buttons, the rest slip over the head. I like that the styles are adaptable and would give a completely different look using alternative materials. The instructions on how to make all the dresses and tops are covered thoroughly in the second half of the book. They are easy to follow with both step by step written instructions and diagrams. I have made dress A which is very quick and easy to make. It is a roomy sun dress which was perfect for the hot weather we had for a few days. Please note that patterns will have to be traced off from the pattern sheets provided as the different pattern piece lines cross over each other. I think this book is an absolute bargain. I have paid more than the price of this book for a single pattern.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dress/tunic patterns., 10 Feb 2013
I got this book because of the patterns with it. I have made three already and they have turned out great. I was looking to buy a tunic pattern but there was no need when I got this book. I like the simple styles in the book. I have raved about this book on burda thats where I have my three tunics I have made from this book. The last time i did that about a book it shot up in price. I go this book for 10. It was well worth the money because one pattern can cost about that with P&P. I have just returned back to sewing so I can sew and I know my way around a pattern so its difficult to say for beginners, but there is simple as well as more advanced. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just my style, 5 Aug 2013
Looking at the photos of tiny models in this book I had little hope that the clothes would make up to my size, so my first attempt found me adding a generous seam allowance to the largest size. No need. I ended up having to adjust it back. I am a busty size 18. It seems the patterns are all styled on the loose size anyway. I have made 3 items now from this book and another in the series. Will definitely be buying the next the be translated to English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 30 Sep 2012
I love this book, in the process of completing pattern d and love how it looks so far. This book is excellent value for money there are 26 full patterns! The book is beautiful to look through and I can see this book being my go to book for patterns now I just wish they would hurry up with translating book 2 and 3 into English

5.0 out of 5 stars luv it sooooo much, 12 April 2013
ok ok i am now addicted to these books and have started a collection.......but they are simply beautiful designs and although i havnt done any sewing for years i dont think they are that difficult to follow. i did invest in a couple of basic sewing books to supplement my knowledge and also used youtube for zip insertion help but apart from that they have all the instructions you will need. the sizing is a bit on the small size so make sure you take your current measurements and compare with the finished measurements given. i trace onto cheap baking paper make sure you label all the pieces because some pieces are needed for more than one item.
i took the book out in a store to check how much fabric to purchase and several ladies were very interested in the designs. i think they are good value as you can make so many pieces from the one book and the style is very very different.

4.0 out of 5 stars ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Make your own Monsoon or Seasalt style tunics and dresses! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥, 25 April 2014
This book is just what I was looking for. I wanted patterns to make tunics similar in style to Monsoon and Seasalt but couldn’t find anything that really fit the bill from the main pattern publishers. My aim is to design my own fabric and get it printed at one of the digital textile printers like Woven Monkey or L&S Prints (up to 150cm wide fabric and 1m minimum order quantity). Now I am just paralysed by choice!
I gave this book four stars instead of five because you have to trace your own pattern pieces off the crowded overlapping pages supplied and add seam allowance. I do understand this keeps the cost of the book down.
Also the fabric requirements given are only for one fabric width (mostly 110cm) and because I hate wasting fabric I will have to trace off the pattern pieces and work out the length required for wider fabric.
The instructions are not as detailled as you would get with a pattern from the likes of Simplicity or Burda but if you have made up a couple of garments before I think they are quite doable.
I will add that I haven’t yet made up any of the designs from this book but I am really looking forward to making several of them! I am not in the pay of any of the businesses mentioned in this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great patterns that make up really well!, 15 July 2014
I love Japanese pattern books and am amassing quite a collection, in Japanese, French and now English.
This is the best one I have bought yet, with some very usable patterns. On looking through pictures posted places like Pinterest, it is clear that many people have made up these patterns and they make up well. I have now made Dress E and it is my favourite top that I have ever made for myself. The patterns are adapted for Western fit, which helps, I am a 5ft 9 size 14/16 and was able to use the patterns with minimal adaptation. There are many more patterns in the book I will be using.
If you are still unsure whether to buy, try seeing what other people have made from this book, I'm sure you'll be impressed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but an incomplete set of patterns, 30 Oct 2013
The dresses in this book share patterns which are provided in a pocket at the back of the book. The patterns were labelled 1, 3, and 5. Thus, I thought that some patterns were missing but in fact they were printed on the reverse of the patterns. It did say this on the front of the pattern packet, but I missed it. So, pattern 1 should have been labelled 1&2 etc. I was then confused by the fact that the pattern pieces overlapped each other, but in fact you have to trace the patterns out onto to tissue paper, then pin those to the fabric. This was not explained in the instructions. It must be 20 years since I last made a dress, so I obviously have some catching up to do. But I hope I have made understanding this a little easier for those of my level of ability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 8 Jun 2014
I find these Japanese books very inspiring!
They are very easy to use and I like the style - very much like Scandinavian design.
Marianne Kähler

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 22 May 2014
lovely book made cover dress turned out very well ,very pleased.easy to follow instructions cant wait to make more dresses

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Stylish Dress Book: Wear with Freedom [With Pattern(s)]
Stylish Dress Book: Wear with Freedom [With Pattern(s)] by Yoshiko Tsukiori (Paperback - 10 Sep 2012)
11.30