4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Recipes
Some clever tips in here on how to prepare food. Very easy to follow and the results are tasty! This book is worth it for the meat and veg prep tips alone. I found it inspiring many thanks to author Bee Yinn Low.
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Some useful tips for cooking.
Not the best book,disappointed especially at the price,not a great deal of recipes.liked the tips for tenderising meat,have better books at better prices.
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Recipes, 12 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer "Tricia" (Dartford, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted., 6 Sep 2013
Mr. Raymond F. Foster "pilgrimcymru" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites from Dim Sum to Kung Pao (Hardcover)
I purchased this book in the hope that it would demonstrate Chinese Cookery in a form I could understand - it doesn't disappoint.
In fact it is about the best I have come across to date.
Well recommended if you are into Chinese cookery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable guide to quality Chinese cuisine, 19 Jan 2012
Recipe books can vary so much. I've had many recipe books over the years with Chinese recipes but none have captured me and indeed the essence of Chinese cuisine like this one. I've been following the author Bee's blog (rasamalaysia dot com) for a few years now and have been thoroughly pleased with every recipe I have tried from there. The trend continues with this excellent book. Her approach to writing is so accessible giving the history of a recipe from her perspective, whether it be mum's home cooking or secrets learnt from the local restaurateur, followed by easy instructions, beautiful photography and background information on the more detailed ingredients and techniques needed. This all makes for a very satisfying experience for me as not only can I present a beautiful dish to my family and friends but I have something to say about it other than "it's from a book".

The book follows on from the blog offering many new recipes unique to the book covering fun things from bubble tea to every day breakfast items like green onion pancakes (or an appetiser for more Western folk!) to exotic dishes like Fish Fragrant Aubergine (''''). Every recipe is in true Chinese style with delicately balanced flavours and textures nothing like the gloopy mess we often get from takeaways and restaurants in the UK. But, the book is not lacking familiar items like sesame prawn toast or BBQ ribs or sweet and sour pork; indeed these and other classic options like them are all included in the book with superior quality recipes.

The acid test with cooking authentic Chinese food is always 'do Chinese people like it'? Having lived at an international school community for three years surrounded by many Chinese, Taiwanese, Malaysian etc. I have had the opportunity to cook for many of them. And, of all the recipes I've tried on them, Bee's recipes have always been their favourite.

Finally a mention for all the excellent and illustrated background information in this book, not found on the website, which teaches about all the staples of cuisine like soy sauce, rice wine etc. Photos of what they look like so you can find them in your local Chinese supermarket. Techniques for those little details like 'how to make king prawns soft and bouncy' and how to make meat super soft just like you'd find in a 30/head restaurant.

I love this book, and the way it has equipped me to explore the fascinating world of Chinese cuisine and bless many of my friends Eastern and Western alike with wonderful welcoming food. Buy it today, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing cookbook, 6 Dec 2011
I have always liked eating Chinese food and wondered what it would be like to cook it by myself.
An Asian friend recommended the author's website, and I was really pleased with the recipes I found there.
Then I decided to purchase the book to take it a bit further.

The author did a great job: nice layout, easy to read, a picture for each recipe, many techniques explained (with pictures!), all the special ingredients presented, etc.

Publishers and cooking books writers, please pay attention: this is how it's done!
You don't need to cram 500 recipes in a book, with no pictures at all, small fonts, and horrible layout.

This book is as close as it gets to perfection, I enjoyed reading/discovering the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price for the preparation tips alone, 19 May 2014
I am increasingly serious about my Chinese cooking, and would describe my diet (and kitchen!) as "90% East Asian". I only owned two Chinese cook books (two of Fu Pei-Mei's legendary volumes from the 1960s/1970s) before buying this one. I have, however, followed the Rasa Malaysia blog for a number of years. One of the things I demand in my cookbooks is authenticity - and there is plenty of that here, with only occasional "Americanisations" which are very easily fixed - for example, the use of "western" broccoli instead of gai lan, and the version of sweet and sour pork isn't quite in Hong Kong style (but is still a very long way from the sickly-sweet or vinegar-drenched take-away version which is common in the UK). A few other ingredients have been westernised as well, but this is easily altered to the authentic ingredients if you live in a city with a significant Chinese population e.g. London or Manchester. However, these are minor issues, as all the recipes I have tried are very similar to those I have tasted in authentic Chinese restaurants in the UK and in HK, and in Chinese homes - and bears little resemblance to the so-called "Chinese" food which is sold in the average UK take-away. The tips on how to prepare ingredients are superb - never has my meat tasted so soft after such short cooking times! Each dish I have tried from this book has been amazing, and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in Chinese cooking. The mapo tofu is one of the best dishes I have ever tasted, from any cuisine - though I did have to make the toned-down recipe even hotter and closer to true Szechuan style, all the other individual flavours can be tasted! Minor complaints aside, this book still deserves 9.5 out of 10, so I'm giving it 5 stars. Will we get a Volume 2?

5.0 out of 5 stars One cook to keep an eye on, 23 Mar 2014
I am a hugh fan of all asian cuisine in particular oriental, and this book is certainly one to have in your collection, I can't wait till she releases a book with recipes from the Rasa Malaysia web site or of recipes from straits Chinese and surrounding countries, Ching-He Huang could soon be looking over her shoulder.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good and easy to follow recipes, 16 Oct 2013
I was very pleased with this cookbook as all the recipes are easy to follow and all come out perfectly...just like what you eat at the restaurant but better!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Some useful tips for cooking., 14 July 2013

Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites from Dim Sum to Kung Pao
Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites from Dim Sum to Kung Pao by Bee Yinn Low (Hardcover - 15 Sep 2011)
24.00