Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 April 2010
The production quality of this book and the photography within it is very good, but i cannot say the same for some of the content. The first 4 chapters are very informative and accurate, but fail to go into a great amount of detail. However, i did enjoy some of the historical information, and i found it easy to follow.
My main problem came when moving onto the chapters containing the techniques and use of the Japanese sword. I found many of the techniques to be very 'Hollywood', and not very practical. I have trained in 2 styles of Japanese swordsmanship over a number of years and felt that this book did not meet the expectations i had of it.
The dvd seamed to follow a very similar style to that of the technical sections of the book with lots of flashy techniques.

With all of this taken into consideration i would recomend this book to someone just starting out as it is easy to follow and does not swamp the reader with too much detail too soon. I feel it would also be very interesting to someone who has a more casual interest in Japanese swordsmanship, and is not too concerned with in-depth or practical sword skills.
I found this book and it's dvd entertaining, but expected more for the price, as i have bought much better books for a lot less. I suspect that had the book been cheaper my expectations would not have been so high, and i would have been less disapointed.
on 23 January 2011
I found this book a great read and a good point of reference. Some nice excercises that I may introduce to my students.
on 17 March 2015
The book is quite basic and not always easy to follow the flow of the examples.Worth a read though and quite informative outside of the practical sword moves guide. DVD is a nice touch and does help but again quite basic.
on 10 February 2013
This book was purchased for my son who thinks it is great, the book arrived very quickly and would reccomend