4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for students of Japanese with minor flaws
Published on 24 Aug 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it
Published on 29 July 2010 by Miriam

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for students of Japanese with minor flaws, 24 Aug 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Kanji and Kana: A Handbook and Dictionary of the Japanese Writing System (No) (Paperback)
I purchased this book because of recommendation, and after doing so I can do nothing but congratulate the author and recommend it myself. The book contains all the 1945 Jou-you basic kanji plus and extra 284 kanji for official use in names. The 1945 basic kanji have uses, stoke order, different fonts (brush, pen and printed), pronounciation in both ON and KUN readings plus variations. Also included are a range on official examples in which the Kanji is used, which I find to be an essential feature. However, the 284 name kanji omit stroke order and a lot less detail and attention is payed to them. The book also contains 3 index systems by radical, stroke count and reading. However, I have found that some readings of a particular kanji are not shown, for example, the suffix '-tachi'. To solve this, you must look the kanji up in another index, proving that the multiple index's are essential. The book also provides a useful and helpful introduction that includes the background and origin of Japanese plus various uses of the kana; hiragana and katakana. In conclusion, a worthy purchase and if you haven't already done so, add it to your colleciton forthwith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good logical progression of kanji, 6 July 1998
By A Customer
This book's strong point is the excellent logical progression used in its presentation of kanji characters. Each kanji character is presented with a good set of usage examples. Other books are better for learning kana, but this is the best kanji tutorial that I know about. (You may wish to purchase the softcover workbooks in two volumes instead of this hardcover.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Jan 2002
By A Customer
I purchased this book as a result of reading the on-line reviews, and am very pleased with its content.
I am a beginner to Japanese, and like the way each Kanji character is clearly shown, together with examples of its use, and a very logical progression from the most common onwards.
It will be an excellent addition to my lessons at the Gyosei College.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good First Book on Japanese Writing, 15 Nov 1998
By A Customer
This book can serve as a beginner's kanji dictionary; though serious translation requires more than the 2000 or so common kanji.
More importantly, from the point of view of someone starting out; it explains how to "spell" with kanji and kana, and it explains Japanese punctuation marks.
The revised edition has cross-references to "The Kanji Dictionary" by the same authors which lists a large number of kanji compounds under all the kanji in them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, 29 July 2010
I got this on a whim, hoping it would help me learn kanji. I'd heard good things and decided to go for it. The book has many tables for the kana and radicals as well as all the joyo kanji and some 200 name kanji. I found this a lot of information and good, except finding a certain kanji in this book is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and all the kanji are squashed together so you really don't get a good learning experience. I also have no idea how the kanji are sorted because there seems to be no link between one kanji and the next. Maybe I should have done more research into this book, and I know some people will find it useful as a reference as the content is there and the first 50 pages or so give a good introduction into pronunciation and so on, but for me this book will not help me learn kanji and I am in the process of swapping it for 'Kodansha's Kanji Learner's Dictionary'.

Kanji and Kana: A Handbook and Dictionary of the Japanese Writing System (No)
Used & New from: £0.99