on 4 May 1998
This was my first kendo book back in 1989 when I began practicing. It is one of only two books exclusively on kendo that I have kept all these years. This is a good book for the beginner who would like to learn a comprehensive background of the sport and the basic moves. It lacks however the tactical applications detail and illustrated step-by-step instructions (particularly for katas) that you might find in some Japanese-language guides (like the DO SPORTS series). Its shortcomings aside, it is a classic text and deserves a place in a kendokan's library.
on 18 July 1997
This is an interesting volume that should be both helpful to the beginning kendo student and to anyone who simply wants to find out what kendo is about. It is written in such a way that it has enough technique for the technically-minded, and enough interesting facts to keep the reader from becoming bored. I found it a most useful and reliable reference source when I was writing my book THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE SWORD. I recommend THIS IS KENDO highly.
on 30 June 1997
All who practise Kendo should have this book. Especially beginners, since it explains the basics of Kendo well.

And it's perfect for reference, so even advanced student can use it.

The book is quite old, but good anyway.