on 25 April 2015
A VERY GOOD BOOK, EASY TO READ, CLEAR PICS, SEEMS TO HAVE ALL THE BASIC MOVES TO GET YOU STARTED
I have a 2nd Dan in Judo so have seen lots of good and bad books of this kind
I have only just taken up Aikido and this has helped me remember and analyse the stuff in the dojo
AND NOT TOO MUCH OF THE YING-YANG-ZEN STUFF, WHICH IS ONLY GOOD IF YOU WANT TO SLEEP
I bought this book about 6 months after I started to practice aikido.

I was confused because I am studying aikido in a foreign language as I live abroad and there are no native speaking teachers here, and in addition I like the dojo I have located.

The book has explained so much of the philosophy behind the concept of aikido that it is very valuable, but I feel that I have to give it a low rating here, not because it is not good, but because as a beginner, though i am two years practicing now, the line drawing are almost impossible to follow. I don't know a better way to describle the movements than line drawings but I am not able to follow them. It's quite torturous to link the practice in the dojo with the images presented in this book.

That's all I wanted to say, I just feel that the big star rating that the book gets is justified by the philosophy it presents, but not by the method of defining and making sense of the practice. This is just one opinion, but it leaves me, still searching for a better book to make more sense of the schematics on paper of the practice in the dojo. I suppose videos on youtube are a realistic alternative.
on 26 November 1997
Aikido is a great martial art, this book is the best introduction to it, period. The illustrations in the book are succint and clear in their depiction of Aikido moves and techniques. The language is concise and well thought-out and considering that one of the authors is an English teacher, (If I remember correctly :) that is no surprise. The introduction to Aikido "phase" of the book is one of the best I have seen and if you have enough money for only 1 Aikido book, I'd say this would be the one to get. The Aikido book to end all Aikido books.
on 9 December 1998
For many years I have been learning several martial art courses, among them Aikido. This book, in my humble opinion, is one of the best resources for those who wish to learn the art. Unlike many handbooks, Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere, doesn't focus on purely the training but the actual harmony, ideals, and the art of Aikido. This is definatly an ideal buy for anyone interested in Aikido for better themselves through this artform.
on 30 June 1998
THE great thing that I found about reading this book was the ability of my mind to see my own body moving in accordance to the pictures and words. The history and general philosophy of aikido bring forward a good-humored account of the feelings the aikidoist aspires to in training and in life. A good buy which is well worth the money - you will return to it countless times.
`Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere' is one of the better Aikido books out there and the one recommended to me by my Sensei when I first started this martial art. It has extensive illustrations that show each technique clearly and that manage to show motions of force and movement, something photography never seems to achieve, no matter how good. This book looks at explanations of Aikido, it's history and ethics, organizations, the theory of practise and defence, warming up and preparing for training, posture and motion, basic and advanced techniques and it also has an extensive glossary. The writing is clear to understand and completely engaging and the illustrations add to the text whether they are describing a technique or not. My one minor gripe is that the techniques are labelled `Immobilization No: x against attack No: y', although you know what the immobilization is as that is what's being described in that particular section, it is harder to remember what all the attacks are. It would be good if they added the actual Aikido terms beneath the label so that you know exactly what attack and technique are being demonstrated and also so you can learn the terms for use in the dojo. This is a minor point and one that would improve on an already superb package. This is a good introduction to this beautiful and effective martial art, with clear descriptions and diagrams and it would make a worthy addition to an Aikido book shelf. Well worth a look.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 24 January 2013
The more I read of this book the more I am really starting to enjoy and understand where Aikido is coming from. I bought it from Amazon based on the number of positive reviews and I have not been disappointed. Since buying it I have discovered that everyone at the dojo appears to own a copy that they rate highly too.
on 6 May 2012
Aikido is practiced all over the world and I have been lucky enough to come across a dojo called simply "the hut"...

I was recommended to buy and read this book because it is one of the definitive western texts on Aikido. You can't learn certain things from a book and martial arts in any form fall into this category. However, this is a very good companion to your training. I am overwhelmed on a regular basis by the simplicity of the Aikido movements because it's a bit like watching snooker on the telly. It looks so simple and yet to carry out the movements is an art form and takes many hours of focused practice.

This book is full of wonderful illustrations and I am lucky enough to study Aikido with my son so he is also very helpful in my learning. This book is a book you can refer to again and again because Aikido is experiential learning and layers your previous weeks dojo training. In fact I am going to have a little read again as I finish this review because Aikido is currently one of my passions...

I fell into getting better quite late in life - got paralysed and told wouldn't walk properly again - decided to get second opinion and learn helpful stuff. Aikido is helpful stuff and this is a really helpful book. I particularly like the chapter IV - The Practice of Aikido because it is very philosophical and helps to understand how Aikido is useful outside of the Dojo and as a way of living...

Aikido also uses power in a very different way from most forms of martial arts and is sometimes refered to as the thinking mans martial art. Normally if you have to think about it - you've already been knocked out...

Whereas if you learn Aikido - you learn "belonging"...

A great book and Aikido is something that will hopefully take me many, many years to master...
on 20 May 2010
This book is one of the best Aikido books out on the market. As an Aikidoka myself, I found the exercises, explanations and illustrations incredibly useful. I regularly practice Aikido, and was amazed to find that everyone at my Dojo had read this book, apart from me! A lot of my classes focus around the key elements described in this book, such as "The Unbendable Arm" and after a detail analogy 'Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere' helped further my understanding of the true meaning of Aikido.

This book has truly helped develop my understanding behind the main aspects of Aikido. 'Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere' is an outstanding book and has furthered my knowledge on what it is to be an Aikidoka. This book is a must have for those who are interested in Aikido!
on 31 May 2015
A Good basic introduction and explanation of Aikido, excellently presented and illustrated throughout. Bought this as an updated copy and was in exceedingly good condition. Some of the theory is a little 'fluffy' and there is overlap with the immobilisations and projections, but overall lots of workable material in this book.