4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for fans of fictionalised, real life crimes
Published 9 months ago by LondonS

2.0 out of 5 stars If you want fast pace and thrills give it a miss
Published 8 months ago by BasingstoneBook

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for fans of fictionalised, real life crimes, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cartwheel (Hardcover)
Like most people, I followed the infamous Amanda Knox trial in Italy as it happened and again as she won her appeal last year. And I'll probably watch a third time as they go back to court yet again. Even if you're only vaguely aware of the details surrounding the murder of Meredith Kercher, you'd be hard pressed not to find similarities between the Knox trial and Lily Hayes's case in Cartwheel, which is so similar it might as well be a fictional account of the trial in Perugia.

Cartwheel goes deeper than the headlines and into the mind and consciousness of Lily Hayes, suspected murderer, as well as those of the people around her, and offers up a story that simmers with tension and keeps you second guessing your perception of various characters all the way through. You'll finish the book with quite a few questions and I'll warn you now, Cartwheel will linger in your mind for a bit. I'm still mulling it over and thinking about it.

I wasn't sure if I liked Lily, the main character. I wanted to scream at her for her naļvete which, at the same time, I couldn't wholly believe in. Was Lily really that innocent of a girl or was she calculating and duplicitous, fooling even the reader? I still don't know.

duBois's novel rightfully deserves to be a pick for The Millions' Most Anticipated Books of 2013. I highly recommend it to just about anyone, particularly fans of fictionalised true crime - it doesn't get much better than this!

2.0 out of 5 stars If you want fast pace and thrills give it a miss, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Cartwheel (Hardcover)
I have concluded that my book selection swayed by the PR was totally wrong. This is not the type of novel that I enjoy or even find interesting. Having read other reviews now I would still have made the same mistake. Jennifer DuBois must be very pleased with the feedback from readers but unfortunately I am not one of them. This book mysteriously forced me through to its end, whilst just giving me crumbs of hope that it may just turn the corner, and provide some excitement and entertainment.

Cartwheel was an odd name for this book and until this was explained, you could be forgiven for linking to the speed of an old wooden cart. The writing style may suit a lot of people who scan and don't actually read all the words, as it is crowded with a great excess of text that perhaps adds only a little to characters and atmosphere, but nothing for the overall story - it could have forty percent shorter and would have moved along more quickly.

Other reviewers have suggested Cartwheel is based on, or inspired by the Amanda Knox story, to me that sounds about right, as here we are several years on and we still don't know for sure who killed the victim. The characters painted by the author were all very troubled, in particular Sebastian who was a great irritation whilst reading, his language forcing you to stop and ponder what was actually said. This character could have been easily used to spice up the plot creating some exciting diversions for the reader.

If like me you like a fast paced exciting thriller my recommendation is give this a pass.

Cartwheel
Cartwheel by Jennifer DuBois (Audio CD - 24 Sep 2013)