Format: Hardcover|Change

I like fighting game guides, when I am not fighting I like to consider movesets and strategies. If a particular character is difficult I consider defence options with book in hand.

First impressions of this guide are wonderful. A solid hardback with a quality dustcover, a neat print inside (that can double as a bookmark). The book is well organised and indexed so looking up any character is straightforward and quick. The last pages of the book are devoted to some excellent artwork and sketches and a bonus chapter of the comic book - all looking great on good quality paper.

The movesets and combo info that follows is not comprehensive; it is more a selection of chosen moves and combos that will point you in a good direction. There is no frame data and no full moveset analysis. The advice is sound enough but I have found myself on more than one occasion asking what to me is a basic question of the guide and it just not being covered. For example I noticed the Green Arrow's Super would miss if the opponent was too close or could be dodged if they moved out of range of the initial exploding arrow, so I went to the guide to check this but it said nothing about range or how best to set the Super up. Another example is looking up advice on setting up and using wagers; the guide gives a short description but unless I am missing something it does not tell you what actual inputs to use or when.

For me this book is a seriously nice artefact in its own right and as a coffee table piece gets a full five stars, it is a great artbook and general introduction to the game. However for serious players you will quickly need to look elsewhere for your info hence only three stars for this review as anyone wanting serious guidance from it will be let down.

It is a lovely book though if prettiness alone was the factor, I am personally delighted with it.
on 24 April 2013
So let me start with my background - im quite a keen fighting game player, love MK9 and Street Fighter etc, and everytime i buy one of these games i also purchase the Brady and Prima Guides, so i would say i have quite a good knowledge of what makes a good guide. So il break down this guide into pro's and con's:

Pros:

Great looking book, well made if you can say that, and nice finish on the pages. It is especially nice with the images at the end, and the use if images for the specials and basic moves.

The breakdown of the game is also great for new players, explaining 50/50s, wager, mix ups and all that general terminiology. You do tend to get this in most guides, but for new players, this is great.

Also there is a great breakdown of story mode, giving you an understand how best to approach the matches. I dont know how effective it is as i dont think you necessarily need a guide to complete story, but still a nice addition.

Also there is a nice section for each character explaining how to best approach playing that character, but this is no where near as good as the breakdown on playstyles that was in the MK9 guide, there is no explanation on how to best approach opponents and general gameplay styles. There is also a section they mention helping you choose a character to fit your style that doesnt seem to be there, it is basically a case of you reading all the chars and deciding yourself.

Cons:

Now to me this is a big let down, but so many chars have been negelected in terms of depth. It is quite clear alot of depth have gone into certain chars, i.e. aquaman, batman, superman etc - and very little in my opinion for people like green arrow, bane etc. Now from my understanding, several people wrote for different chars, so you might find a different person may have done the Aquaman section to the Bane one, and if it is the case, it is quite clear. Its a shame some of the possible lesser played characters do not have the same depth. For example, some chars have combos for meterless, corner, 1 bar, 1 bar corner etc - wheres some, have basically 3 or 4 basic combos, and thats about it, nothing for corners etc. To me, this is a shame, i tend to play the lesser known chars, and it seems i have lost out a bit here. This is the main reason i cannot give the game guide a 5 star rating.
on 10 June 2013
Very well made guide, good quality cover.

All of the moves for the characters are nicely laid out, and due to it being a multi-format guide you'll have to learn which buttons relate to which type of punch, which is possibly it's only downfall. In the heat of a battle you don't really want to think Hard-Punch is X or Square and would rather just see the symbol in the guide.

If you want to know more about some of the finer points from the game, or how to get some of the unlocks, then this is a worthy addition.
on 3 August 2013
This was a fun guide to help get through the game. I tended to play while my 11 year old read the walk through. I had hoped for more art, but I suspect that was more an error of my expectation than any failing of the book. All in all, did the job.
on 14 September 2013
This book was a gift for my husband and he hardly put it down since he got it. It covers all the characters in great detail with plenty of advice on fighting styles. The additional background and artwork in the book are good too
on 9 May 2013
this guide is very good for this fighting game. it covers every character and provides tactics of how best to use them. it also has a bonus art section which fleshes out the game story and insight into the making of the game
on 29 November 2013
I liked it as a pressent from my 16year old cousin but it got very boring so i sold it it has alot of blood in as well and language in story mode
on 9 March 2014
Good book loads of info. Prompt delivery.no complaints about the product, it does exactly what you would expect from this type of thing.
on 27 May 2013
I bought this book not to help me but because its just so nice to look through but also for the whole superman fan thing.
on 3 June 2013
the book itself is well layed out and presented to a very high standard i was very impressed with it thanks